Problems with Avast update

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked your disc in another computer , to make sure it is a bootable , or have you used one that is verified bootable ?

You are hitting the escape key at the start of the boot , right ? it is the key with ESC on it . should be on the top left of your keyboard .

Last edited:
I just wanted to give an update on this issue, for what it's worth. :)

First, thanks to Nick and everyone else who tried to help this computer idiot get things going. While I wasn't able to get things going myself, I still appreciate the help that was offered.

I ended up giving my computer to a lady who manages the computer system where my wife works. She had it for a week or two, and advised me to upgrade from Windows XP, since Microsoft has basically abandoned it. She got me hooked up with Windows 7 Pro, as well as some Kingsoft software. I haven't used the software yet, but it's supposed to be compatible with MS Office.

I got it back the other day and got everything up and running. She charged me a grand total of.....get this.....$60 for all her work. I felt guilty that it was so little, so I threw in a little extra. Can't get a computer repair place to even look at them for that price.

So once again, thanks to everyone for their assistance. I'm back in business! :D

Nick since I got back home my Windows 7 has gone strange I think after there was a Zone Alarm and Avast update
Can't get the internet to go through this puter but got others going
I reckon there is something strange with Windows Explorer as if I click an icon on the desktop it refuses to load saying Windows explorer not responding but if I click on the same program name on the programs lists it loads straight away
Do you think that Tweeting one will sort it if I can get it onto a DVD

Jon have you tried "system restore". Back before the updates.

Tried all that type of thing 2 hours to run virus scans where it usually is less than one hour,
Nick has taught me well :)
Internet says it is working but can't log onto anything
Bought a new router and my ISP got other putters going, one and a half hours, but not my main one, they say its not from their end which I think is correct

Just got in Jon. Sys restore is the first thing i would have tried to before going into the registry. Will post back instructions . Are you getting any error codes ?

Got an email from Zone Alarm saying last update wasn't suitable for my putter but I am not sure which puter it was for, maybe the Windows 8.1, but that was when puter updated trouble started
Different browsers will not hook up
Just about every icon on the desktop will not load after 10 mins, it just comes up Windows Explorer will not respond but if I go to the programs the same program will load straight away. Also the desktop screen really fades for a long long time while its thinking

Just had another thought
I reckon I have to sort out the icons on the desktop like CCleaner, Real Player, Avast to get them to load. As I mentioned they all will load from the programs page then the net will be sorted out

This is total nonsense.

If it wasn't for your Windows version it wouldn't even start installing.

earlier you said that you tried system restore.

What exactly does it mean?

Did system restore work at all?

How far back did you go?

This is total nonsense.

If it wasn't for your Windows version it wouldn't even start installing.

earlier you said that you tried system restore.

What exactly does it mean?

Did system restore work at all?

How far back did you go?

Well it made sense to a lino layer :)
Fixed it
I removed Zone Alarm and now everything is all good
Anybody want a day old HP Pavillion 22 :)
I took back system restore to a check point before we went away
I just thought everything went strange as soon as Zone and Avast updated
You semi taught me well Nick :)

Try installing ZA again Jon , Or at least make sure windows firewall is on .
Glad you got it up and running .

Try installing ZA again Jon , Or at least make sure windows firewall is on .
Glad you got it up and running .

You want me to get into trouble again with Zone Alarm? :)
The lino layer in me thought it was strange when the puter was updated the problems started, then getting an email from Zone Alarm
At least if you here of any others having trouble Zone Alarm could be a starting point. If I didn't have another puter I wouldn't have been able to receive their email to find out they have an update to fix it
Think I will stick new puter back in the box and under the bed :)

It may not have been from ZA Jon. Could have been a fake e mail from a Hacker .

If you don't feel safe with ZA ,Download Comodo, It's not a bad firewall.

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Firewall/3000-10435_4-75181464.html

Jon make sure you have all the left over files removed from ZA.
1] Check Start - Run - Type regedit -hit enter . Check the Plus sign next to Hkey local machine - check the plus sign on software software . Scroll down and see if ZA is there . if so right click on it and delete.
Follow the same process for current user .

2] Check start - search - Type Zone Alarm in there. [All files and folders ]. Delete any that it finds .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back