Prostate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I have had a prostate exam a few times and was told that I have an enlarged prostate.
I had a PSA test and it came back as a 4.2. My primary care doctor recommended that I see a urologist. The urologist also said my prostate was enlarged. I had another PSA test and it went up to 4.8 in four months.
The urologist then recommended that I had a biopsy of my prostate. Out of 12 samples, 4 contained a low grade cancer.
The urologist said if he was my age he would have the prostate removed.
I went to see another urologist, he said prostate cancer is slow growing and I was at a low risk and he recommended I get an MRI of the prostate and then another biopsy and just watch and wait. .
That did not seem like a great idea to me

I went to see another urologist. He spoke to my wife and I for 2 hours. He explained all my options in great detail.
I did a lot of research and talked to many people that have had their prostate removed. I heard a lot of stories of people that have lost their lives to prostate cancer.

My dad had it in his 70’s and he chose Radiation. He had , I believe around 30 treatments. It cured the cancer but they believe all that radiation is what gave him bladder cancer at 91 years old ,as well as problems with his colon.
He just passed away August 26, I miss him terribly but he is not suffering anymore.

I have decided to have a robotic assisted prostatectomy. I am going to have it done on Monday. This doctor has done almost 1000 of these surgeries in the past 11 years. I will be out of work for 3 weeks. I pray that I am making the right choice and that everything goes well.
I can’t imagine what I will do with myself for 3 weeks. I’m not the type to sit around.
2018 has been a shit year for me , so far

I agree with your decision. My dad caught it early so he had radioactive seeds planted around his prostrate. The surgery was so evasive that he needed to wear diapers the rest of his life. Then again, this was 20 years ago. The cancer did not kill him, he fell in a restaurant parking lot, broke many bones and decided to just shut down and die. This always pissed me off, but wearing those diapers took all his dignity away and I'm sure was part of the reason he shut down.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Thanks guys, I’m on my way there now.
Have to be there at 5:45.
I’m glad I’m the first one of the day.

Best wishes. Dad's prostate cancer was not found until PSA was at 300 and it had gone to bones. But with a couple of cancer meds, and a hormone shot it was down below 1 in 6 months. It was 6 in only a month. He was 86 when found.

I was told by the 4 or 5 cancer Docs Dad went to, that he could easily live 2 years to 14 or more with this treatment, unless it started growing again.

Best wishes on your choice and may it help your quality of life.

The surgery went very well.
The cancer was contained in my prostate.
He said he was able to spare the nerves,
So I should not loose sexual function .
He said I won’t be able to have anymore kids or be “ in movies” :cool: but I knew that going into this.

I’m a little sore. I don't feel like I could lift my tool box right now :eek:
Thanks for the nice words guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger.gif

Great news. Glad you're clear and not as bad as it could have been.

Super news Don. I have a hard time imagining a robot unless it's painting a car or making a computer chip.
.....then again, they do what they do extremely well.

Latest posts

Back