Quarter Round for Uneven Floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knscarlato

I just laid tile on a dining room that is part of an open floor concept. The dining room flows right into the living room that has hardwood. The two floors have a height difference of about 1/4 of an inch. I used a reducer molding as the transition, however, it is the quarter round on the baseboards that is the issue. The photo shows how I currently laid them, but it looks weird to me. That being said, had I cut the reducer molding so that it meets at the QR instead of the actual baseboard, then the QR would be of different heights where they join from the 2 different floors, and that also doesn't appeal to me.

What is the proper way to handle this type of situation or what technique would look better?

View attachment 518209

I saw your pic over on CT. They’re not gonna be very helpful to DIY’s over there since that site is for contractors. Do the 1/4 round first. Miter it to follow the floor using the width of the transition strip as a guide for the width of the stepped miter piece of 1/4 round between the two heights. Now you can bump the transition into the 1/4 round. The 1/4 round will be continuous so the break between differing floors won’t be so obvious. Recut the corner miter for a crisp professional look and you should be good to go using what materials you have. Best of luck and congrats on DIY.

Latest posts

Back