Question about Vinyl or linoleom roll flooring- concrete prep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinGPC

I'm doing some work remodeling an office space, helping out the inlaws, trying to be that "good son in law". It's very hard LOL.

Basically we want an easy flooring solution for the office are. We decided on roll flooring, either vinyl or linoleum. I have experience doing other forms of flooring, but this is a new endevour. (Mostly do carpentry, light electrical, windows, etc)

So the question is this: The floor was previously carpet, over concrete. Just finished peeling the carpet off today, and am wondering about the remaining adhesive. Realistically how much of this cap do I really have to scrape off? Im sure theres gonna be those people who insist it be clean enough to eat off of, but I mean is it a make or break deal if I just scrape off the high points? It's already relatively smooth, I can't imagine it effecting the adhesive for the vinyl or lino roll- right ? As it stands, the old carpet glue is on there pretty good, and there would be a LOT to scrape. I cant even get it off with a chisel. Hoping to just be able to power through this with out much issue. Appreciate the help! I have attached images so you can see for yourself. It's already quite smooth- Except for the cracks which I'll thinset.

Attachments

• 20201019_164241.jpg
    20201019_164241.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20201019_164222.jpg
    20201019_164222.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201019_164217.jpg
    20201019_164217.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 100
First question would be what are you using to scrape it with?
I use these, but not with the blades that come with them. I think mine might be a 5-in scraper.
The blades I use are 10-in Personna scraper blades that I cut in half with a Dremel tool. The steel is much much better and does not flex like the skinny blades that come in a lot of these scrapers. You're obviously going to have to be down on your knees to use this scraper. By doing so you will be able to maintain a good edge on your scraper blade. You need to keep the angle as consistent as you possibly can and also flip the scraper back and forth every few strokes, so you are constantly rotating the blade surface.
You're basically using a sweeping motion right to left shaving off the glue and in that case the last of the rubber backed carpet.
If you're already at that point the floor will need to be skim coated with a leveling compound before gluing in new vinyl. You definitely want vinyl not linoleum. Linoleum will be tougher than most all vinyls but the difficulty of installation is not something you learn as a novice at floor covering.

First question would be what are you using to scrape it with?
I use these, but not with the blades that come with them. I think mine might be a 5-in scraper.
The blades I use are 10-in Personna scraper blades that I cut in half with a Dremel tool. The steel is much much better and does not flex like the skinny blades that come in a lot of these scrapers. You're obviously going to have to be down on your knees to use this scraper. By doing so you will be able to maintain a good edge on your scraper blade. You need to keep the angle as consistent as you possibly can and also flip the scraper back and forth every few strokes, so you are constantly rotating the blade surface.
You're basically using a sweeping motion right to left shaving off the glue and in that case the last of the rubber backed carpet.
If you're already at that point the floor will need to be skim coated with a leveling compound before gluing in new vinyl. You definitely want vinyl not linoleum. Linoleum will be tougher than most all vinyls but the difficulty of installation is not something you learn as a novice at floor covering.
Thanks for the reply- I haven't scraped it yet, I just used a 2" chisel to test how well it would come off. I will get the scraper you recommend- fortunately all of the carpet came up without issue. I didn't even have to scrape it off, there were areas I was able to pull it up with one hand. I guess they didn't use a lot of glue? Or maybe they never let the concrete dry out enough- In any event I guess I got lucky. The only high spots I can tell are where the glue is clumped together, but that came up with most of the carpet too.

And vinyl it will be. I had never worked with lino, but wanted to- I always thought those old school guys that did the inlays were so cool. A lost art. I work on old double hung sash's a lot so I have a penchant for old craftsmanship.

The one thing I'm worried about is all of the door ways and jambs in the long hallway, making those cuts around the stops, and casing is gonna be a B*$!# (I attached a picture) I'm wondering if it will be easier to take them out- but then there's the issue of re-hanging the doors, and reshimmming the jambs, it may not be worth my while. Thoughts?

Personally I'd rent a scarifier with what looks like the amout of floor you have to do. It is just a buffer with a scraper blade. Just don't hit any studs or pipes sticking up out of the floor, or nails.
Thank you, that may not be a bad idea, I will look into that

The one thing I'm worried about is all of the door ways and jambs in the long hallway, making those cuts around the stops, and casing is gonna be a B*$!#
Installers today under cut them. What you do is lay a piece of the material down and cut off the bottom of the jams and such so the vinyl slides underneath. A oscilating tool will work for that if you don't have a jamb saw.

Latest posts

Back