Question on floor gap with Cortec flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvcman

I have installed a Cortec 18 x 24 let
The instructions say the flooring is stable and won't move, they say be sure to have 1/4 " gap on "perimeter walls and any adjoins wood or laminate floors"
I have at least that much gap around all the walls and I put the base on top of the floor, nailed into the wall,,, but under the cabinet toe kick I have less than 1/4 gap
The toe kick is hollow so do I need to worry about this ??? I can't imagine that cabinet moving it's nailed to the floor and the base plywood is right up against it

Depends on the room size and if that room is connected to other areas. Also, if it has sliding glass doors, the floor will expand because of the heat from the sunlight..... in which case they recommend keeping shades on the door opening or an entry rug to cover that section of floor.
You're probably going to be OK, but that depends on the room size and location of the cabinet. More details would help.

Well it's a typical ranch galley kitchen, no sunlight issues very dark kitchen,,, the width is about 7 ft and it's about 12 ft long,,, it's a 12 ft long base cabinet ,,, the back of the cabinets are against a wall that has a enclosed porch on the back side, the opposite wall has the living room on the other side, that wall has a nice gap as do all the other walls, I was going to use a right angle seemed saw to cut it out but I may make a mess

I’ve never seen an expansion problem if there is space somewhere in the room far too much attention is placed erroneously regarding this. For instance , you’re never gonna see a floor expand a half an inch in a four foot wide hallway.

The gap for cortec and other dimensionally stable vinyl planks is actually due to the house and adjacent floors that will expand and contract. Not for the flooring itself.

Quote from Cortec pdf. Because houses and buildings, as well as adjacent hardwood or laminate floors, expand and contract, USFloors recommends to leave a ¼” expansion gap between the perimeter walls and any adjacent hardwood floor.

I would love to be able to measure one annual/season change in a 45 foot wide home to see how this expansion/contraction theory occurs in my neck of the woods. I know that it happens. I just wonder if it's 1/64th of an inch or 3/8 of an inch or if it so small that it's almost un measurable.
I know without even checking that there is no way a sill plate slips back and forth every year remotely close to 1/2" in a 45 foot wide home in my local anyway.
...Now a 45 foot wide flat top roof covered in black tar paper.......... that's gonna move a bunch from summer to winter. That said, I don't have a clue if a "bunch " in this situation means 1/2 an inch or 2 inches.
The floor plate tho has no relation whatsoever to the roof, unless the foundation gets full eastern sun in the morning and full westward sun all the afternoon.
I'm very skeptical about house shrinkage causing buckling. ......in my local anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back