Questions about sound proofing and creaking

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Hi All,
I'm in a wideline cape in LI, NY built in the 50s which still has original oak flooring. From when we purchased the home, the creaking in the floors has driven me nuts.
We have since gotten used to it though now have a family member staying with us in the basement and the noise is too much to bear. There is no insulation between the floors either.
I took out a few pieces of the oak and I see the subfloor, which is planks, is not secured correctly. Regular nails were used so the planks are moving up and down as weight is applied. Even when my 30 lbs dog walks on the floor, it creaks!
My proposal below for a solution and would love ideas and criticism. Id like to correct this to also sound proof between floors. My idea is to fully remove the oak, make sure the planks are in good shape, then:
1. Add 1/2" plywood above the planks. Make sure to secure plywood to ceiling joists below which will tighten up the planks. Ill secure / repair any planks before place placing plywood if need be.
2. Add 1.4 MM Quiet Walk on plywood
3. Add 6 MM Steico acoustic underlayment on top of Quiet Walk
4. Finish off with LifeProof 12 MM or Pergo Laminate flooring
Ideally I would prefer to add 1/4" plywood and not 1/2" as it lands better against the tiles, door partitions and door heights though not a must. Though I would think the 1/4" is not stiff enough.

Thoughts or concerns? I'm pretty handy and have all tools to tackle this. Would love to hear others opinions in similar situations.

Thanks!

Rob

The squeaks are most likely coming from where the nails meet the wood in the planks. Securing the planks with screws might fix it... Maybe...

1/4" plywood won't help at all. 1/2" might help but 3/4" would be better. If height is an issue (even if it's not) your best fix is to remove the planks and install 3/4" tongue and groove plywood glued and screwed to the joists.

None of those sound proofing layers you're planning on using will fix a squeaky floor. Footsteps to the people living underneath will be muffled.

Last edited:
The squeaks are most likely coming from where the nails meet the wood in the planks. Securing the planks with screws might fix it... Maybe...

1/4" plywood won't help at all. 1/2" might help but 3/4" would be better. If height is an issue (even if it's not) your best fix is to remove the planks and install 3/4" tongue and groove plywood glued and screwed to the joists.

None of those sound proofing layers you're planning on using will fix a squeaky floor. Footsteps to the people living underneath will be muffled.
Thanks JP. Sounds about right. I see a few of the nails and when I apply weight on the surrounding wood, the nail stays firm though the plank moves up and down.
3/4" is very preferred, though I dont have the time and energy to rip up the subfloor, along with the oak, so may go with 1/2" above the planks and screw to joists every foot or so. Will see if I can get away with 3/4" above the planks if anything.
The soundproofing layers goal is to minimize foot thumps and voice and TV sound from travelling so easily through so hoping that will muffle most of that out.

I would still use plywood. Any flex in the subfloor is gonna make a mess of any floating floor you choose.

If you're not going to remove them you want those planks as secure as possible to alleviate the squeaks.

The problem in my old house is the floor joists were hand cut and vary as much as 1/4" in height. I screwed all the diagonal planks down, shimmed some of the gaps and put 5/8" plywood over it all for vinyl flooring. Still have some movement season to season that make some noise. The stairs I totally re-treaded, glued and screwed and still have squeaks. Only so much you can do without burning it down a starting over. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back