Questions about vinyl plank with pets

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calliexw

Hi I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place; I have a couple of questions about self stick vinyl plank vs. vinyl click lock. I have a very old dog that some times (everyday) has accidents and some times I work up to 12 hour shifts, so I'm concerned about urine seeping under the strips and smelling with the click lock... Does anyone have any first hand experience with having to replace a floor because of something like that? All the ratings for both say they work great with pets but I have my doubts.. Thx ahead for any info! By the way it's a 12 pound dog, if that helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using Flooring Forum

I will just tell you to run away from the self stick planks. They will come undone and are not water proof like the salesmen say they are. They've pulled it off the shelves in my neck of the woods because of (1) how bad it is and (2) you have to have a moisture percentage of something like 5% in your sub floor. In the south east, you will never be able to find a subfloor under 5%. This lead to installers busting jobs left and right because they didn't want it to fall on their heads when the floor started unsticking, which a bunch of the first installs did.

The click stuff is supposedly water proof. But much like anything else, if you leave a liquid sitting on top of it for an extended amount of time, it will find its way through the crack. If I'm not mistaken, the click lock requires the same moisture content in the subfloor as the sticky does.

Thx, for your input! I am definitely leery of putting down self stick now because I just pulled up multiple layers of the self stick vinyl tile in a bathroom, and some had come loose due to moisture (condensation on the toilet tank had been dripping on the floor for who knows how long, I just bought the place). I think I'm going to go with the click lock and seal all the joints with some sort of silicone sealer.

Unfortunately I not only hate sheet vinyl, but I have heard from multiple realtors that it will decrease the resale value of the property, so I would end up having to replace it in a few years which is what I'm trying to avoid. Plus I don't think I can afford to have it installed. But mostly I just don't like

I put in the Allure vinyl plank from HD in a Dog Whisperer's homew where he temporarily boards peoples dogs while training. Lots of doggy accidents and such.
Saw him two years later and he said it still looked fantastic. It was a tiled look plank with the pre-glued edges.

D'oh, I just posted a thread about something similar because I didn't see this one first. LOL.

What is Flexitec?

Ahhh. Ok. Oops. Forgot to say "thank you".

13' 3' is not wide enough to cover the span of my kitchen without seams. My kitchen and dining room are all one big room-- probably the largest or second largest room in the house.

Last edited:
I just checked out your post but couldn't navigate back to it once I signed in... My SO put Lowes peel and stick plank in his condo, I think it was the gunstock oak, but not positive. He says he wish he'd put down something lighter, it shows a lot of dust. I opted for the click vinyl from Lowes in "resort teak", only laid down one box so far to make sure I could live with it. So far I really like it and actually wish I'd done everything in that, but I did tile in half my space because it seems more pet proof. Will post back once I get all the vinyl down...

As someone in the Retired Racing Greyhound Adoption Community who works with foster dogs in housetraining, I'd recommend a belly band for your male or female incontinence panties if your dog is a girl. These are comfortable for your dog, inexpensive, easy to make and can be reinforced with Poise-type pads, if necessary. They work as a "reminder" to hold urine till outside, too, and are great as a temporary training tool for new dogs. Does your pet need a friend to let her out mid day? Always check for reasons for incontinence first- a bladder infection? Deafness and increased fear being alone? I'd recommend speaking to your Vet before a new floor purchase. Hope this helps-

My Mom helped start quad city greyhound adoption, lovely animals. I have the guys use the kinekto glue to secure the ends on the cheap vinyl lock n fold planks. Do this especially in large areas with cheap product, and saves a call back for separations. Even thought it's plastic I still acclimate it a couple days..

And I don't think her dog needs diapers. I'd urinate on the floor if someone left me alone for 12 hours too.

Latest posts

Back