Questions on Hardwood vs. Engineered of Same Species

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esox

We are getting ready to replace about 2,000 sq. ft. of carpeting in our house with wood flooring. This is quite a big/expensive decision for us, so we want to make sure we do it right. We are fairly certain that we want to utilize a prefinished product to minimize scratching and we do not like the looks of handscraped. That being said, we have a few questions…

1. Given the same species of wood (i.e. Janka rating) does a 3/4" hardwood product resist "denting" better or worse than that same wood in a 3.5mm veneer engineered product?

2. Some species of wood like Cumaru have a reputation for developing gaps or cupping in 3/4" hardwood even despite proper acclimation prior to installation. Does this problem get completely resolved or just slightly improved when utilized in an engineered product?

3. Some engineered products utilize plywood while others utilize MDF or HDF. What are the pros and cons of each?

4. This will be an above grade install on a subfloor, so nail down installation is okay. Should I nail down whatever we end up choosing or are there any up-sides to the "click/floating" engineered products?

5. We have a family room in the basement. Should we spring for the extra money for the thick foam padding versus standard felt paper to reduce noise?

6. Can anybody recommend a good choice of wood species and manufacturer products that provides known/reliable good dent/scratch resistance and stability to minimize gaps and buckling? We understand the floor won't look perfect forever, but we want to make sure we buy a good quality product. We are open to domestic or exotic and flexible on price to ensure quality.

Thanks!!
Esox

If you are going over a plywood underlayment stick with solid 3/4 the only time I suggest engineered is when a customers wants Hardwood but they have a concrete base

So it sounds like I should stick with solid hardwood. That was what I thought I wanted from the start. What got me thinking otherwise was that my wife likes the looks of some of the "exotics" over "domestics". Since we want a 5" wide plank, I started to think that an engineered would be better, especially if we go exotic. The ones in particular are the "Golden Teak" (Acacia), Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) and "Brazilian Teak" (Cumaru).

What is the main reason to stick to domestic woods? That would pretty much narrow it down to oak for us...maybe walnut. By the way, I am willing to let boxes of flooring sit in my house for months to acclimate if that's what it takes to ensure a proper installation.

Lastly, it sounds like the "LL" store gets a bad rap on here. Is thier stuff really that bad of quality? Are there any particular products of thiers that are good or to definately avoid? Feel free to PM me with an answer if it can't be posted.

Thanks!
Esox

Last edited:
So it sounds like I should stick with solid hardwood. That was what I thought I wanted from the start. What got me thinking otherwise was that my wife likes the looks of some of the "exotics" over "domestics". Since we want a 5" wide plank, I started to think that an engineered would be better, especially if we go exotic. The ones in particular are the "Golden Teak" (Acacia), Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) and "Brazilian Teak" (Cumaru).

What is the main reason to stick to domestic woods? That would pretty much narrow it down to oak for us...maybe walnut. By the way, I am willing to let boxes of flooring sit in my house for months to acclimate if that's what it takes to ensure a proper installation.

Lastly, it sounds like the "LL" store gets a bad rap on here. Is thier stuff really that bad of quality? Are there any particular products of thiers that are good or to definately avoid? Feel free to PM me with an answer if it can't be posted.

Thanks!
Esox

What is the last name of LL? They get rid of discontinued stock most times.

Daris

Thanks!
Esox

Everyone I know that has bought from LL got mostly shorts. It looked like culls from good orders.

LL = Lumber Liquidators. I still have not bought the flooring yet...just still shopping and deciding. I did start looking at Mesquite online. It is very beautiful, but it seems like finding it pre-finished in Ohio is very rare.

Latest posts

Back