Questions Regarding Dark Spots in Concrete

Help Support Flooring Forum:

JoshuaCollins

Hello all, I am in the middle of an entire home renovation. We chose to do polished concrete throughout our entire first level. We decided to do an overlay on top of our slab. Self leveling concrete was used. There are two spots that have appeared that don't look like the rest of the flooring. Is anyone able to diagnose why these spots could have appeared? OConcrete Floor Screenshot.pngr better yet does anyone have a solution to fix these two spots?

highup

Professional
Pro
How large of an area was done in self leveler? Did they use a pump truck? If mixed in single bag batches, maybe it wasn't mixed well enough.

JoshuaCollins

About 1,00 sq ft were done in self leveler. They had large buckets and were pouring it into the floor while other guys smoothed it out.

The concrete sub said it could be the way it reacted with the slab. That didn't sound accurate to me, however, as it seems like if that were true it'd be happening all over. And there are only two spots. Are you buying that explanation?

Either way, I just want it fixed before I finish paying. Do you know how this could be remediated?

highup

Professional
Pro
To me, fixing would mean starting over.... Hammering it all out and repouring.... or adding another layer.
A pump truck probably would have mixed the leveler more consistently and blended many bags at a time as opposed to two bags at a time. That would have been very expensive unless someone in your town already has one.

highup

Professional
Pro
A pump truck could do a continuous pour.
The self leveling mixtures most flooring installers use don't need to be pretty, just smooth and flat.
Maybe concrete staining could be done. It could add a little warmth to the floor and maybe hide some of your problems.

highup

Professional
Pro
What product did they use? Maybe you should contact a tech person from that manufacturer. Show them the images an get their input.

JoshuaCollins

Thanks for the feedback. They're two relatively small spots. Would it be a nightmare to just jackhammer those two spots out and re-pour?

highup

Professional
Pro
I wouldn't think it possible to repair a single spot or area. I'd really check with a tech guy at the company that manufactured the stuff.

Latest posts