Refinish floors done 15 years ago

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddahlgren

I have some oak floors done around 15 years ago maybe 20 LOL. The place that did them had to patch some areas and did a so-so job. The patches were caused due to going from warm air heat to hot water. The house was built in 1874 and oak put in around 1900 no doubt covering wide board pine if it matters. The flooring guys said they used some sort of gym floor finish and put a couple of coats on but is now wearing through in places.

My problem is the house is built in a way that it impossible to live here and do the floors in one full section. There is no place to store all the furniture or get from one section to the other of the house. I can easily leave for 5 or 6 hours to let the finish dry.

What I want to do and not sure if possible is to refinish in sections by scuffing / lightly sanding and use water based poly. My question is can these sections be blended in nicely or not. I am not looking for perfect just not easy to spot from the casual observer. The other goal is to protect the flooring from any further damage from finishing wearing off.

Any advice appreciated.

Living in a tourist town that has rooms generally booked in a 15 to 20 mile radius 2 nights in a motel with some food around 400 to 450 add the Pod drop off pick up and use fees along with hiring some laborers to help move everything out then back in gets to over 1000 around here. Obviously the best way for sure but out of the budget.

No more thoughts as how to do in sections? Is there a more appropriate section of this forum to post the question?

Go to NWFA.org and get a few companies out to give u a bid. Then u can address doing the job when they are doing the estimate. It all depends on your layout & which direction your flooring is running. Anything is possible, just have to find the right people to do it. Saying that, as a floor refinisher, we nvr want to do a job this way & we will charge more for it because of all the extra trips.

Good luck, Tim

Latest posts

Back