refinishing old painted floors [need help]

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigz77

Hi everyone,

I have a converted attic with old wood floors that were painted. I hired professionals to refinish it, but when they got through the paint said it would be impossible to get the paint out from between the panels and walked off the job. The floor is level and free of squeaks.

I have a couple options in mind and wanted to see what you all think is the best path forward.

Option 1: scrape out the cracks myself and then fill, sand and finish. any hints on getting the paint out are appreciated.

Option 2: lay down new 3/4" solid oak. Would i need to lay the new floor perpendicular to the existing floor? If so, can i lay down 1/4" plywood in between so I can keep the boards running the length of the room (ex. original floor, 1/4" plywood, vapor barrier, new 3/4" hardwood)?

Any other thoughts are welcome and appreciated as well. Thanks

upstrairs floor.jpg

Last edited:
First clean the floor with floor cleaner or your own mix of 10 parts to 1 part white vinegar. Wipe it with terry cloth mop or towel around a mop. Hand sand the perimeter of the room and any nooks that buffer can't reach. Now scuff sand the finish. Vacuum and tack . Strain the finish through a cone filter into a small plastic watering can, pour some strained finish into a small plastic container. Now roll out the poly. Pour out a 1-inch-wide stripe of finish in line with the grain—only as much as you can spread in 10 minutes. Using a long-handled roller with a ¼-inch nap cover, roll out the finish with the grain, then across it. Overlap each pass and work quickly to keep a wet edge. After 10 minutes, brush more finish along the edge, then pour and roll again for 10 minutes. Continue until the floor is covered. Wait 3 hours before recoating

You can only pull poly one way or you will create bubbles in the finish.
" After 10 minutes, brush more finish along the edge, then pour and roll again for 10 minutes. Continue until the floor is covered. "

I don't know how you would do that with the finish still being wet ?
scuff sand? You mean use a old screen moving in the same direction as the wood .

I wouldn't clean the floor with floor cleaner or your own mix of 10 parts to 1 part white vinegar. Just screen it .

I gather it you don't sand floors for a living.
Jigz, Use option # 2

Latest posts

Back