Remove Glue ON TOP of Asbestos Tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM123456

Hey,

I pulled up VCT tile that sits on top of Asbestos tile in a very small bathroom job that I am doing. The VCT came up super easy and the VAT (asbestos) tile is thankfully rock hard on the floor - so my plan is to simply put down Schluter's Mortar, then the 1/8 Schluter Ditra, then the mosaic ceramic tiles.

Unfortunately, the VCT tiles left some glue residue on top of the asbestos tiles. (It is not a visible amount - it is just sticky.) I imagine this needs to removed because it is a bond breaker, but I want to do it in a way that does not really disturb the asbestos.

Can I pour acetone on top of the asbestos, or will that slowly break down the asbestos under the (eventual) ceramic tiles. Should I heat gun it and scrape it?

If I am truly lucky, can I just mortar right over the stickiness because there is no visible glue? (Unlikely, but maybe it is my lucky day.)

I am hoping to have this done so that I am ready for the Schluter tomorrow morning (my mess up on time).

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I pulled up VCT tile that sits on top of Asbestos tile in a very small bathroom job that I am doing. The VCT came up super easy and the VAT (asbestos) tile is thankfully rock hard on the floor - so my plan is to simply put down Schluter's Mortar, then the 1/8 Schluter Ditra, then the mosaic ceramic tiles.

Unfortunately, the VCT tiles left some glue residue on top of the asbestos tiles. (It is not a visible amount - it is just sticky.) I imagine this needs to removed because it is a bond breaker, but I want to do it in a way that does not really disturb the asbestos.

Can I pour acetone on top of the asbestos, or will that slowly break down the asbestos under the (eventual) ceramic tiles. Should I heat gun it and scrape it?

If I am truly lucky, can I just mortar right over the stickiness because there is no visible glue? (Unlikely, but maybe it is my lucky day.)

I am hoping to have this done so that I am ready for the Schluter tomorrow morning (my mess up on time).

Thanks in advance!
It's not a bond breaker at all-----it's STICKY.

The RIGHT way here, of course is to demo the asbestos tile and the asbestos laden adhesive all the way down to Ground Zero. So we're compromising here, right? Pouring acetone on asphalt or vinyl asbestos tiles is a really horrible idea. Forget that. If the asphalt tile is down "Like Iron" maybe paint/wipe a little concrete glue/primer over the residue to enhance the bond. I always like to "prime" anything questionable. Never hurts once you understand the basic chemistry of these processes.

Latest posts

Back