Removing folds and creases in plasic sheeting

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I may be doing a Cortec install in a living room on a concrete slab. It will need plastic for a vapor barrier. This Cortec has a cork backing, but it's one of Cortec's thinner laminates.
Rolls of plastic sheeting can have stiff creases and wrinkles and my concern is that the vinyl laminate won't have enough weight to make the wrinkles or creases lay down. Any ideas on flattening the wrinkles or creases? Some rolls are better than others, but I don't want noises under the floor caused my the plastic.

Mix some Multi purpose with some water and roll it on the concrete.. let it tack up and spread the plastic ..

I have never seen a “thinner “ version of Core-tec that has the cork back.
And I have installed 47,230 miles of the stuff :D

Last edited:
I have never seen a “thinner “ version of Core-tec that has the cork back.
And I have installed 47,230 miles of the stuff
I haven't installed much of it. Looked thinner than I remember. It was a tiny sample piece on a large display board that the owner left for me to look at.
It's Laguna Oak 7.20 by 48.03 inches. 50RLV1016
I'm still concerned bout the vapor barrier laying flat.

I never have worried about the creases High. But if ya want, make a small loop outa duct tape or use double faced tape and lay them under one edge after you roll it out then stretch it out to the other side, repeat. You can also use boxes of the flooring laid on top.

@ Don, I have installed a more budget version of Coretec outa Prosource and was surprised at its thinness. I think they did it to compete with the junk manufactures.

I never have worried about the creases High. But if ya want, make a small loop outa duct tape or use double faced tape and lay them under one edge after you roll it out then stretch it out to the other side, repeat. You can also use boxes of the flooring laid on top.

@ Don, I have installed a more budget version of Coretec outa Prosource and was surprised at its thinness. I think they did it to compete with the junk manufactures.
I'll measure a piece with my calipers tomorrow. I think he still has the sample board at the house. I'll get the pattern number. Maybe what I have is just the standard stuff. It just seemed thin to me even with the cork backing.
I used strips of double faced tape in a number of places and stretches it from the center out, and onto the tape. Seemed to work fine. No noise. I went with 4 mil. I think it blocks moisture just as well as 6, but you have to be more careful when walking on it and sliding boards across it. I found that laying a bunch of planks on the plastic worked like stepping stones so your feet never needed to touch or damage the plastic. Job turned out super nice.

.004 mil is slightly thicker than a store plastic bag and significantly allows more vapor transmission. Perm ratings...

1. ASTM E-96-90, requiring that water vapor permeance shall be no greater than 1.40 grams per 100 square inches per 24 hours for film 1 mil thick, inversely proportional for other thicknesses. Expressed in perms, not to exceed:

.001” (1 Mil) 0.76 Perms

.002” (2 Mil) 0.38 Perms

.004” (4 Mil) 0.19 Perms

.006” (6 Mil) 0.13 Perms

.008” (8 Mil) 0.10 Perms

.010” (10 Mil) 0.076 Perms

.015” (15 Mil) 0.057 Perms

.020” (20 Mil) 0.038 Perms

COMPLIES

Forgot what Coretec specifies but pretty sure its six mil. On the other hand foil's perm rating is zero.

Last edited:
It's 6. They also specify no more then 3/16" deviation in a 10 foot radius, which means 95% of the floors it's installed on need 1/2 of self leveler.

It's 6. They also specify no more then 3/16" deviation in a 10 foot radius, which means 95% of the floors it's installed on need 1/2 of self leveler.

Thats pretty much standard for many floors, some are tighter.

I know, but it's hard to find floors that come within specs and the products are advertised a lot as easy DIY projects and homeowners have no clue. When they hire it done, it's sticker shock when they find out it can cost as much to flatten a floor as it does to install it.

I may have another job coming up and it's on single layer OSB I can only imagine the joints if it's T&G (most likely is)
That's why God invented edger sanders and 16 grit paper. :D

Latest posts

Back