Removing mold damaged flooring, how to know when to stop?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smolfloor

Hi everyone,

I am removing mold damaged engineered wood floor that is glued down to concrete. A heavy duty plastic mat sat on top of the flooring for many years. So far have not found any other obvious source of moisture (I am assuming it is built up from the concrete)

Chipping away at removing the damaged pieces. If a piece of flooring has obvious damage on the wood (disintegrates, darkened, etc.) I figure I have to keep removing until I see one that looks damage free. Wondering if there is an obvious sign of when I have removed enough? For example, in the attached photo it appears the mold is growing in the adhesive? (branching?). I assume I also need to find clean "adhesive" marks.

I am willing to bring in a professional; should I bring in both mold remediation company and flooring company?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Attachments

• moldy_flooring.jpg
    moldy_flooring.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 133
Your photo is pretty clear and in focus, but I can't see any mold. I'm not sure how compatible wood floor adhesives are. You might need to scrape down to bare concrete.....at least enough to remove the ridges.
Unless you see something that I don't, I'd remove whatever is damaged and stop there..... It maybe one plank more than obvious to be sure. Be sure to use a moisture limiting adhesive and use the correct trowel. Some adhesives can be purchased in one time use plastic tubes that resemble store bought cookie dough.
The adhesive is nasty sticky, so be careful to keep it off unintended items.
Is that the only moisture damaged area? Concrete emits moisture, so that plastic probably didn't let the floor breath. All depends on the concrete floor's moisture emission rate and how well the old adhesive blocked moisture.

@highup thanks so much for your feedback! (Do you happen to work in San Diego, CA :))

In the original post photo, i am wondering if the pattern on the adhesive that looks like branches is a sign of mold growth. This photo was only part of the floor plank, there was definitely damage in the middle. The flooring has existed for 19 years; never removed flooring before so not 100% sure how good it should look/smell. (I am using a respirator)

A few more photos, I believe these are all signs of damage I need to continue removing...
I do plan to go back and scrape the adhesive. At minimum will hire someone to install the replacement flooring.
Was hoping I can get rid of most of the damage first.
Some of my cuts are not too clean.... I do not enjoy kickback from the circular saw (first time using a power tool that isn't a drill!)

example1.jpg

Attachments

• example2.jpg
    example2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 115
  • example3.jpg
    example3.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 117
  • example4.jpg
    example4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 121
  • example5.jpg
    example5.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
No I live in Oregon on the Oregon coast. I can't handle lots of people and I can't stand heat which is really funny because currently it's 92 degrees here on the coast. I'm sure it got warmer earlier in the day. Crazy temperature for us.
The glue looks fine and I notice it seems there is a little bit of white powdery looking stuff under the glue. That's most likely alkali salts that come up through the concrete along with moisture. So if that's any of what you're seeing that isn't mold. I'd scrape the floor to get rid of all of the adhesive and maybe wire brush it, then wipe it clean with a damp sponge and let it dry well. Again you want an adhesive with moisture limiting capabilities and to use the correct trowel notch.
I'm guessing the green color that I see on part of the floor where was where the concrete was painted?

Latest posts

Back