Removing old floor - Tile/Linoleum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enano

Hello all,

I will continue searching the forums and google as I am slowly piecing together the info that I need, however, I figured i would jump onto a forum to get a more tailored answer.

The tile floor in my kitchen has several cracks going through it. During some renovation in an adjoining room and found that the tile is over linoleum which is glued onto plywood. Underneath this is my sub floor and crawlspace.

To confirm:
Tile
Cement Board
Linoleum
plywood
subfloor

I will be redoing the tile and want to avoid the floor cracking. When i installed a carpet in the adjoining room, the contractor was saying it probably cracked because they installed it over the linoleum.

Is it correct that I should rip everything above the subfloor up for the new install? Are there other issues that could have caused the floor to crack that should be addressed or checked before installing the new tile?

Zack

Last edited:
Check the STRUCTURE. Tile and stone floors have to set on a solid substrate------one that's not moving up and down or side to side as people walk across, normal temperature and humidity change as well as settling and movement of the earth.

Basically you want to OVERBUILD for such contingencies and most home builders don't account for that when building on spec or under a fairly tight budget.

LOTS of homes/condos/townhouses/apartments are built considering vinyl and carpet flooring so they're not designed to satisfy the higher standards other kinds of flooring demand.

Any suggestions?

The things that come to mind would be adding cross braces between the floor joists.

I think i read somewhere about doing two layers of cement board and overlapping by about a foot or so.

Any suggestions?

The things that come to mind would be adding cross braces between the floor joists.

I think i read somewhere about doing two layers of cement board and overlapping by about a foot or so.

Start here: http://www.structural101.com/Wood-Framing-For-Tile-Flooring.html

If tile has been installed on a floor that was not designed to support tile flooring, remedial work may be necessary to ensure the floor framing satisfies industry standards (especially if stone tile was installed). Floor joists must be reinforced or a header beam must be installed under floor joists. A header beam requires at least two supports, such as columns, which may also require new footings. Cost of this work could be substantial.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back