Removing tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahns

Hello,

I'm re modeling our bathroom and removed tile for the first time. I have most of the tile removed but I am baffled as to what to do about the thin set and back board that was beneath it. The cement board is crumbling a way in places, and the thin set is stuck to it pretty good. If I try to remove more of the thin set I fear that it will just cause the rest of the cement board to crumble away. I found a few nails and started removing them near where the threshold was but the cement board doesn't seem like it will come up easily. What's the best thing to do here?

Thanks for any help.

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

the underlayment should be glued and nailed/ screwed down so it won't come up easy. I've never heard of backerboard crumbling so that would be a concern. I would get what is crumbling up and thinset the tile over what you have.

hopefully someone else will chime in and concur with my suggestion or not and steer you on the correct path.

Yes, like happy hours said, you can float it out over top. But I would grind it flat as possible first. You might want to call a professional.

All the backerboard and existing thinset needs to be taken off. Otherwise, it's a contaminated substrate and the new backerboard may not properly adhere. Backerboard can usually be taken out using a circular saw. You need a carbide tipped blade. The more cuts you may the better so that the backerboard easily comes out. Once it and the thin set comes out, then you can begin laying down the new thin set and new backerboard. Then, seam the joints with alkali resistant seam tape, and patch the seams with skimcoat and patch. Then, you are ready to begin tiling. This particular case is unique because the backerboard crumbled.

If you are thinking again about tile flooring, then Cork flooring is one of the best option for you, I had cork flooring in my bathroom also because cork flooring is naturally warm and quiet. I would like to suggest you that you must choose the best floorist for this so that you will get the best flooring without any problem.

If you are thinking again about tile flooring, then Cork flooring is one of the best option for you, I had cork flooring in my bathroom also because cork flooring is naturally warm and quiet. I would like to suggest you that you must choose the best floorist for this so that you will get the best flooring without any problem.

Mason, you are answering to a post that is almost 3 years old. I'm sure the poster has done whatever he was going to do by now. But good try anyway.

Daris

Latest posts

Back