Replace With Wood or Tile?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhoundmama

Hi Forum, Newbie here. 18 years with carpeting and it has to go. I have 12' ceramic tile in kitchen, baths, halls and walk paths. I'm looking at 4 mm. protected engineered wood or large ceramic tiles for replacement throughout. Our Florida home is on a concrete slab. I'm attracted to the wood but we have 4 beloved, wonderful, clean, smart Retired Racing Greyhounds. They do not run in house, have short nails but they do splash drinking water... From experience out there, what should we do? Help much appreciated! :)

Normally I tend to agree with they guys but on this one im going to stray. I have a dog, two cats, and two messy little girls. I just installed an Armstrong engineered hardwood throughout my house (except the bathrooms) and I have no issues with the sloppy dog's water bowl or the sloppy kids wet feet running in and out of the shower. As long as you don't leave it sit, youll be fine. I keep an eye out and don't have any issues. Don't settle, get the floor you like. If you have to be more careful with spills then so be it. I would rather have a little extra work for the floor I love then settle for something else simply because its easier.

I say wood, and maybe distressed for ease of touch ups and traction. They make nice large mats to go on the floor to protect the wood.

Thank you so much everybody, I really appreciate your advice. We're not too worried about our Greys water bowl splashes and they're super clean and practically non- shedding. The slippery surface isn't even really a problem, they adapt toe holds beautifully, even on slippery tile. Its the toenails. They're like a raptors. I try to keep them short and off the floor... :-O... Ernesto, I like your advice for a hard wood, distressed surface. I love the elegance of BC but maybe a low- glow or matt surface, a bit distressed and some variable widths would help fool the eye. And Ken, your advice to go with what you love, give it a little more care and don't settle is important to hear. You're right. We (possibly) only go around once and life is short. There are worse things to leave behind than a few floor scratches from beloved dogs.

Latest posts

Back