request recommendations for apartment flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Mill's going to say they should have yanked those off and put felt pads on. I checked out the site, looks like theyre on to something. I like the floating locking planks. Check out Berry/Alloc Pureloc and US Floors CoreTec for some similar interesting products. I sell a ton of those.

Ken and other forum users, I am remodeling 3 apartments in the same building which are carpeted now.

I have looked at the Coretec plus squares and they look nice. Also looked at the Mannington adura. I intend to replace all existing carpet and vinyl in the kitchen, so would like to put the new flooring down all over in the living areas and bedrooms, kitchens and baths.Two of the apartments are above the 3rd so some sound deadening would be good.

Do you have any recommendations for flooring for durability, sound reduction and desirability? I am not tied to the Coretec plus or Adura and am a novice at this and just beginning the research for remodeling to begin May. Many thanks, Richard

The subfloor is " 5/8 " type 'x' GWB applied right angles to resilient furring channels. Channels applied right angles 23" O.C. to 11-7/8 " engineered wood joists 16" O.C. with 6/d common nails. supporting 3/4 " ply subfloor and 1" gyp -crete underlayment. R-11 batt insulation applied between joists and subfloor."

If sound is a concern the CoreTec has an attached cork underlayment. If you're leaning toward the vinyl plank I would look at the berry/alloc plank with the lvt floor muffler (hush Ernie ; )). CoreTec is a pain in the ass to install though. You have to make sure those seams are tight.

Thanks Ken, I am a novice at this and just beginning. Is the Coretec vinyl plank also? I looked at two samples, one looked like a plank and narrow, the other more dense and thicker was a larger square with other patterns than wood. That looked pretty good and the information said that water did not adversely affect the core.

I don't know anything about the Berry. But will investigate. Also open to any other suggestions.

If I do go with the Coretec, should it be the squares?

Thanks very much for the information.

The CoreTec tiles are much more difficult to install than the wood planks. They are both lvt top layers with the waterproof composite core. The berry planks are much easier to install yourself.

for ease in installation you cant beat glue down vinyl planks---another advantage is replacing a damaged plank---as long as you use the pressure sensitive adhesive---ive been installing a lot of congoleum endurance plank---good stuff

sure it will work in a bath--done about a dozen----never gonna be as watertight as a sheet though---im seeing the planks more and more in commercial spaces like stores and supermarkets--there they just wax em like vct

thanks for all the comments, think I am starting learn the vernacular.

Went to a large floor store today and looked at a commercial LVT by manninton called fired slate SS5S4569. real rich color and seems very hard surface, which would last a long time with renting. any experience with this? and wonder if some this can be installed with a sound muffler or will it need one. Impressed with the quality of this LVT. Thanks again for the advice.

Richard, follow the specs. If the company wants an underlayment, then install one. If not, then don't. Ive installed a lot of Mannington floors and they make a great product. Ive never had a single issue with any of their flooring materials. They are a little pricey but if you can get something that a floor store has purchased a lot of and keeps it in stock, you may be able to get some better pricing on it. Good luck. Lets see some pics when youre done!

Latest posts

Back