Rubber back vinyl

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I have never seen this stuff in my 34 years of floor installation. What is it?
DD0E3A55-2C91-4CC6-8B49-95555DEE200C.jpeg
9B8D930F-D1CC-4843-82CE-500E99E8AD20.jpeg

You're talking like this wasn't your standard cushion back vinyl from days of old. I recall they made some cushioned back vinyls that were like a quarter inch thick. No way were you going to roll a refrigerator on it.
I recall seeing a product like that about 15 years ago.... New material. It was a cushioned back, but nothing remotely like what you showed.

The woman said the carpet we pulled up was 50 years old so that will make it around 1972.
That’s if the carpet and vinyl were installed at the same time.
B0B17EDD-AF0F-446D-A1BC-3D92849DE95F.jpeg
7F4C22DB-0138-4E99-A68E-FCA63E32AD98.jpeg

The carpet one store I work for raised carpet install rates from $4.50 to $6.50/ yard
I was pushing for $8 but $6.50 is better than a sharp stick in the eye. Boxed steps went from $4/ step to $8/ step. Minimum install charge went from $125 to $200.
The other day I had a 12 x 12 room with rip up and three pieces of furniture, it paid $290

I would still rather do hard surface flooring any day but at least when I do have to do carpet ,
I can make a halfway decent buck.

The carpet one store I work for raised carpet install rates from $4.50 to $6.50/ yard
I was pushing for $8 but $6.50 is better than a sharp stick in the eye. Boxed steps went from $4/ step to $8/ step. Minimum install charge went from $125 to $200.
The other day I had a 12 x 12 room with rip up and three pieces of furniture, it paid $290

I would still rather do hard surface flooring any day but at least when I do have to do carpet ,
I can make a halfway decent buck.
That sounds pretty good and I'm betting you had a short day..... depending on travel distance. It's rare that I'm working more than 35 miles from home.

It was the same for me. I remember doing sideline work for that and then raising it to 1.50, everybody thought I was crazy but I stayed busy on weekends and nights.
$2 yard for about 20 years. When I moved back to my hometown, I was charging $2.50, the highest in town, and I kept busy. Did not take long for the other guys to raise their prices up to mine. Had a local store offer me minimum wage, about $4 hour, and I laughed at him. I found out that was what he was paying his full time installer.

Latest posts

Back