Sanding and filling old pine floors.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danace99

I'm a DYIer sanding an old pine wide plank floor in a 200 yr old house. There are some damaged spots (termite, etc) that need filling. I have lots of sanding dust from sanding and would like to mix up a paste of epoxy and dust to fill in the holes and gouges so it will match better. I'm thinking something more liquid than puttylike so it will mix and spread better. Anybody have any suggestions for an epoxylike mix? I've tried the Minwax epoxy (smells like Bondo) but don't know if it can be mixed with the dust. There's nothing on the label about it.
Also, the first rough sanding with 24 grit was really tough due to the uneven floor (cupped boards, etc) and I don't know if my tired old body is up to more sanding with the finer grits. (You guys should be paid way more than you probably are.) I'm thinking of putting sealer on now after filling and hand sanding the spots and going with the "rustic" look, which would'nt be that out of place in this house. What do you think? It's 1400 sq. ft. total.

We use to mix the saw dust with Elmer's white glue to patch little spots . dry's clear .

That's kind of a rough paper . We just put a 6' level and mark the high spots with a crayon. 45 them and straition them out with the same paper .

Remember not to stop the drum in the same spot across the floor. go pass a ft, next pass don't go quite as far .

I agree the 24 grit is too rough to leave, so I will have another marathon day of sanding. What grit would you recommend as a minimum before sealing?
I believe a liquid epoxy or glue would mix with the sanding dust, but don't know whether epoxy sealer or glue would work better. I think I would need at least a quart.

Not knowing the condition of the floor , I would start with a 60 , do your 45 on the high spots ,and straiten them out with the same paper , Then a 80 grit , then a 80 grit screen , Then a 100 grit screen.

You can use both sides of the screen . to unclog them just hit them against the rotary .

Latest posts

Back