Sanding Options

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Burke

Hello, This is our hallway Dougless Fir flooring. I have done 4 other rooms (bedrooms) on the second floor in our house. Now we are in the hallway and ofcourse it runs perpendicular to the walls and its only 40" wide. I don't think the drum sander is an option.
I'm thinking a edger is going to be the tool . Working my way through the gritts and finishing with a Good hand orbital sander.
Any suggestions or advise ?
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• 20190302_132546.jpg
    20190302_132546.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 203
Man, you'd have to really really be good to do that. They make square or rectangular sheet vibrating sanders... I'm talking a large stand up type. A painting store where I live has one that they rent out. Might take a while, but they wouldn't dig in like an edger.
If there are any severely cupped or bowed boards, I suppose a light hand with and edger might help before using the sander I just mentioned. I think these sanders are made more for sanding a finish so you can renew a surface. Sanding and removing the surface to bare wood might be more than these are made to do.
I'm not a wood floor guy, so maybe the smart guys will chime in.

See if you have access to Flexisand or Hydra sand buffer plate. Rough edge it, then run the buffer with the plate on it. Run up the different grits to smooth everything out. Before your final pass do your very minimal fine edging around the perimeter, then final sand paper passing on the buffer. Pass a buffer screen to finish it off. Will be perfect.

See if you have access to Flexisand or Hydra sand buffer plate. Rough edge it, then run the buffer with the plate on it. Run up the different grits to smooth everything out. Before your final pass do your very minimal fine edging around the perimeter, then final sand paper passing on the buffer. Pass a buffer screen to finish it off. Will be perfect.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the advice.

I rented a U Sand from the local rental place. It wasn't very aggresive but worked out real nice. I liked how it keeped everything nice and flat. Very important to work your way through the grits..to get rid of the circle scratches. And it got right up to the edges so no edger was needed...just some scraping and hand sanding finishing up. They came out Great for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wb68SJsPA8ih2pGc9

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back