Saw this in the NZ Consumer magazine

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

In memory...
Supporting Member
Pro
Rebecca Styles

By Rebecca Styles

Investigative writer

Carpet manufacturer Bremworth’s latest advertising campaign claims: “The average Kiwi home with synthetic carpet is similar to having 22,000 plastic bags on the floor by weight.”

Rival manufacturer – of both wool and synthetic carpets – Godfrey Hirst alleges this is a misleading claim under the Fair Trading Act (FTA). It claims the environmental impact of synthetic carpet in the home is less than the environmental impact of 22,000 plastic bags. It also claims synthetic carpet doesn’t have a significant, negative impact on the environment.
In July 2020, Bremworth announced it was ditching synthetic fibres and going wool-only for its carpets. In the transition to wool, it dropped the “Cavalier” from its former name Cavalier Bremworth, the carpet operation of the Cavalier Corporation.
By transitioning to wool, Bremworth claims “embracing nature can make a world of difference to the wellbeing of people and the planet”.
Godfrey Hirst alleges this statement is also misleading. It argues wool carpet is not better or safer for the environment than synthetic. It also alleges that, in switching from synthetic to wool carpet, Bremworth isn’t “materially reducing its environmental impact”.
Godfrey Hirst also alleges that Bremworth’s claims create the impression that synthetic carpets shed microplastics. It argues this is misleading because microplastics are not shed under normal use.
This is the latest legal stoush between the two companies.
In 2013, Godfrey Hirst took Cavalier Bremworth to court over warranty claims made in its advertising of a new synthetic carpet range. Cavalier Bremworth was found to have breached the FTA because of two misleading warranty statements on its website and instore marketing.
This latest litigation is expected to be heard in the High Court next year.
We’ll keep you posted on the result.

I think in all honesty you would have to be a crazy person to think that somehow nylon/polypropylene carpets are not detrimental to the environment. While it can never be argued that the wool industry is not rife with its own issues I would bet my life, liberty and limbs on the fact that it sure is far and away better.

As for the claim that carpet does not shed microplastics under normal every day use... come on now. Godfrey Hurst make carpet for god sake, how can anyone even say that.

Not to mention, if Godfrey Hurst went back to just marketing their wool carpets I could learn to love them again, their blends are not something I like in the least and some of their wools were some of the nicest carpets I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

microplastic:
Microplastics are tiny beads of plastic that help lubricate joints. They act like microscopic ball bearings.
They also assist in keeping people from drowning because the plastic in your body helps you float.
They offer increased flexibility in older people because older people have more microplastics in their body because of a longer exposure period.
Microplastics absorbed by the human body also help to keep microplastics out of the environment by entrapping them so they can't be released to do harm to seagulls and whales.
Have you had your daily dose of microplastics today?

Latest posts

Back