Scroll sawing

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarisMulkin

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Since I don't do any flooring or binding anymore I got into scroll sawing for something to occupy my time. I'm really enjoying it and my grand kids and family will probably hate me for it. So far I've done a lot of cat stuff and a wolf,2 dogs and may work on a tractor thing in the near future. My niece and her husband are farmers and he only talks about Oliver tractors. So I thought I'd make him this:
1645658440901.jpeg

I only got 3 right now. To bad you didn't live closer I'd give you one.

So of those 3 what kind are they and which one do you like best? I’ve seen em on Craigslist for a song but have wondered if there was a reason they were so cheap. I’ve also looked at the Dewalt and wondered if paying $500 (my bad, they’re $600 now) will get me any better performance than say a $300 scroll saw.

Then there is the myriad of blades. Up stroke, down stroke, up and down stroke, spiral…

Maybe it’s a good thing I haven’t gotten one quite yet.

So of those 3 what kind are they and which one do you like best? I’ve seen em on Craigslist for a song but have wondered if there was a reason they were so cheap. I’ve also looked at the Dewalt and wondered if paying $500 (my bad, they’re $600 now) will get me any better performance than say a $300 scroll saw.

Then there is the myriad of blades. Up stroke, down stroke, up and down stroke, spiral…

Maybe it’s a good thing I haven’t gotten one quite yet.
I also have three of them, two 16" and one 22". I like a spiral blade. Several years ago I made a lot of Christmas ornaments and sold them. Have not done much with them lately. Dewalt would be good but a Makita or Dremel also work good and are cheaper. You can get a Ryobi for around $200. Just stay away from Grizzly. I have had some Grizzly tools, they are made in China. You can't buy any parts for them. I have a 12" Grizzly band saw and had to make parts for it. Had a scroll saw and it did not work right out of the box. And you must take them back to the company in person. For me, it was a 200 mile round trip.

Last edited:
My neighbor gave me one. Not sure what brand it is. I've never turned it on. It's on a shelf in the carport. One of these days I'll have to check it out.
That's really neat Daris. Your design? It's got that perfect country look. They're gonna like it....
....er, he's gonna like it. 😁

Since I don't do any flooring or binding anymore I got into scroll sawing for something to occupy my time. I'm really enjoying it and my grand kids and family will probably hate me for it. So far I've done a lot of cat stuff and a wolf,2 dogs and may work on a tractor thing in the near future. My niece and her husband are farmers and he only talks about Oliver tractors. So I thought I'd make him this:
View attachment 14096
How thick is that wood? 1 x is all I can find here.

The three I got are 2 craftsmen, 16' & 18". The one I just bought is one from Menards, Master Force I think it is. I just got it and unpacked it yesterday, The 18" Craftsmen is a pain in the butt to change blades, and the 16 which I was using in my basement beings it is cold outside in the garage was ok but again the knob for setting tension after having to change blades due to pattern my baby soft hands got sore.
The new one all I have to do is flip a lever, and has a vacuum port, light, and a tube that keeps the dust off the pattern line.
I have used mostly 3/4 pine but once some 5/4. Pictured.
1645710647700.jpeg

Back when we were doing craft shows, a guy would do your name while you wait. But the wood was on;y about 1/2" thick. Never asked him where he got it. For wall hangings 1 x seems a little thick.

The three I got are 2 craftsmen, 16' & 18". The one I just bought is one from Menards, Master Force I think it is. I just got it and unpacked it yesterday, The 18" Craftsmen is a pain in the butt to change blades, and the 16 which I was using in my basement beings it is cold outside in the garage was ok but again the knob for setting tension after having to change blades due to pattern my baby soft hands got sore.
The new one all I have to do is flip a lever, and has a vacuum port, light, and a tube that keeps the dust off the pattern line.
I have used mostly 3/4 pine but once some 5/4. Pictured. View attachment 14100
Guessing if you think someone would get serious with this you'd buy something decent to start with.
The simple lever to flip, to lock the blade in place, would be a godsend I'm guessing. One of those, you don't know what you're missing till you have one.

Latest posts

Back