Sealing against tub with Coretec

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Tiny bathroom with a tub, toilet and and 20 by 24 particle board vanity.......... [plus a closet. Total area is 5' by 8' or thereabouts.
I hate sales people and the industry bragging about waterproof flooring like Coretec. Hell, a garbage bag or a shopping bag or Saran wrap is "waterproof". In the event of a minor flood, what's under a Coretec floor is usually not waterproof.
OK, I am starting a job. 5 by 8 or 9' bathroom done with Coretec.
Is there as right way to seal against the tub? I'd be starting at the tub, then working away from it, so I'm continually pushing the floor towards the tub as I tap each row.

I'm thinking 1/8" spacers against the tub for "expansion", then once done, pull out the spacers and silicone like you would do with a sheet vinyl floor.
OK, I'm also thinking of including a thick 1/2" bead under each plank end ...as I go and right where it butts the tub......... you know, keep adding silicone under each board end as I progress across the room to seal the entire tubs width against and that would lock it in place so it can't bounce up and down.
The room is only a tub's width, so we are talking 5 feet...........or just 8 planks, all end butts.
Once done, I can add a bead of silicone on top of the floor, against the tub to finish sealing it up.
The guy has three sloppy, messy kids and he (and I) are worried over the long run.

Last edited:
I usually use a baby threshold at a tub, and put a thin bead of silicone where the threshold meets the tub.
If doing just a small bath ... I have trimmed off the tongue and butted against a tub and left expansion everywhere else.

I usually use a baby threshold at a tub, and put a thin bead of silicone where the threshold meets the tub.
If doing just a small bath ... I have trimmed off the tongue and butted against a tub and left expansion everywhere else.
Planks run perpendicular to the tub. I like the end cap idea. Bath is just 5 by 8.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back