Sealing "new" VCT tile necessary?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryOn

I've installed Tarkett/Azrock VCT tiles over a leveled cement floor in a new basement bathroom. Used Roberts 2057 VCT Adhesive. Tile adherence is solid... no issues there. This tile was purchased in 2015 for a separate project I didn't use it on. From research there are recommendations to apply a sealer to VCT and recommendations that it is not necessary. I've cleaned the newly laid tile with ZEP Neutral Floor Cleaner and was planning on next applying the ZEP Stain Resistant Floor Sealer. BUT, I noticed while I was cleaning that the water on the tile is beading up, suggesting it is already sealed? See pictures attached. So now I'm wondering if I need to strip whatever manufacturer coating there is on the floor and seal it, or if I should just apply sealer over the tiles as is, or skip the sealer and go to the ZEP High Traffic Floor Polish/"wax" stage.

Concerns:
>>> If I apply the sealer with the tiles 'as is', will it just be flaky and interfere with the polish adhesion?
>>> While the tile may turn out to be already sealed by the factory, and I skip the additional sealant, are the seams safe from water intrusion... it is a bathroom after all. Or will the polish protect the seams adequately?

Thanks for your help!
IMG_4631.JPG
IMG_4633.JPG

A friend is an 'old school" janitorial guy. He says to buff off the factory finish, then seal, then wax. I did that on a basement and it turned out great. I don't know if the sealer is just thinned or diluted wax or something more.
Wen using the buffer to remove the finish, he told me to add a small glug of Windex to s bucket of warm water. Windex leaves no residue, but after buffing and cleaning the floor, I used a clean bucket of warm water as a rinse.
Whatever you do, clean the floor well to be sure there isn't any glue residue on the tiles.
I'd call the manufacturer and as them. Maybe the sealer acts like a primer and to fill the joints. I don't know.

If the floor is cold and the installation is really fresh, it is beneficial to let it settle for a while. If you have ever seen these tiles in a large store where they are common, or were common, they settle in over time to the contours of the concrete. If the tile has been in for a week or more with the heat on, you ought to be fine.

Latest posts

Back