Seam tape and iron for newer backings

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would work good. Karastan has the brown line, Mohawk a blue line and Horizon no line. All the same product with 3 different names. I know when it first came out they had a delamination problem. Their driver said they had a warehouse full of delaminated carpet.
I haven't had any problem with tape sticking to it though but you definitely want to use a low profile tape on it as there is no where for the thermo to go.

Daris
Delamination was a huge issue. Backing contained war to much "dirt" as one rep told me.......... dirt meaning some kind of silica. Needed much more latex and less "dirt"
Sometimes the edges were loose 3 inches in. I didn't like anything about it........ I still don't, tho I haven't installed any for a year or so. .heck haven't installed much of anything in a year or so. :eek:

I never saw anything other than brown stripes, even on Mohawk.

I stopped using a 6 in iron twenty years ago. Last few big carpet jobs I did was when the urethane ttapes first came out, worked great and sticks to everything.

I still carry a roll of pin tape and bottle of latex when going out on carpet jobs where I am going to attatch to another older carpet. Run into lots of delaminating backings in doorways.

The backing that you showed a picture of is similar to the backing I am having a issue with. I was thinking it is new to me, old for you guys. So is Orcon Su-90 a urethane tape? I am assuming it is.

I think that's the one. Not sure that they still made it.
I ought to check with our suppler and see if I can get a roll.

The backing that you showed a picture of is similar to the backing I am having a issue with. I was thinking it is new to me, old for you guys. So is Orcon Su-90 a urethane tape? I am assuming it is.

Lee's backing has as I recall, two blue stripes and a brown one. It's also a relatively tight backing. Their backing is ever so slightly more like action back. I hated that one too......... it had delamination issues like Mohawk's.

Lee's backing has as I recall, two blue stripes and a brown one. It's also a relatively tight backing. Their backing is ever so slightly more like action back. I hated that one too......... it had delamination issues like Mohawk's.

Lee's is a Mohawk product. Owned by Mohawk.
Yes the Su-90 is a urathane tape. But before using it clean the bottom of your iron. It seems like it also takes a little longer to cool off. But if using seamer down now it won't make any difference.
Right Ernesto? lol

Daris

Lee's is a Mohawk product. Owned by Mohawk.
Yes the Su-90 is a urathane tape. But before using it clean the bottom of your iron. It seems like it also takes a little longer to cool off. But if using seamer down now it won't make any difference.
Right Ernesto? lol

Daris

They own Karastan and most everyone else too don't they?
...Too big to fail comes to mind. :D

What? I can't hear, you must speak louder. :D Must be that shopvac motor running in my face.

Ya wouldn't be deaf if ya used my SeamerBoardNow 1000.
I set my shop vac in an adjacent room and the hose reaches to the seamer board connected only by the suction of the vac, and using my floor tool attachment.
I'd show you the tool in action, but you'd probably steal my idea. :D

013_11 SeamerBoardNow1000.jpg

Opti-back is a Horizon piece-no lines. It is also called H-5.
Makes no sense to me why there are so many names for the same product.
There are well over 125 different backings out there. Some are just variations of another back. Maybe have fleece laminated to it or a moisture barrier of sorts. Then sometimes it changes the way it installs.
They change so rapidly to keep up is next to impossible. The best thing I can tell any installer is if you see or think something is diferrent contact the mill and ask how it is installed. CYB-cover your butt!!

Daris

I had too much time on my hands 15 years ago when I made it too.
...........look at the patina..... that's heirloom stuff right there, Nick.
Problem is, I need some heirs.:D
Things are only worth money if you want to buy something High . :(

Ya wouldn't be deaf if ya used my SeamerBoardNow 1000.
I set my shop vac in an adjacent room and the hose reaches to the seamer board connected only by the suction of the vac, and using my floor tool attachment.
I'd show you the tool in action, but you'd probably steal my idea. :D

Not to worry about me stealing your idea. I'm more worried why there's pointy objects sticking out of your carpet.

So what is everyone doing for seaming the newer backings. I have used Roberts 315 for years, but recently I have had problems with the tape holding to the backings. I have ordered a case of XK-50 and then had to order the Orcon 14300 iron.

Anyone else finding the tapes are not holding as well anymore?
use orcon k40 and use 3 to 3.5 on iron... best seam tape you will find i have found roberts to be cheap way to install CRAIN ALL THE WAY

Latest posts

Back