seam trick

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I'm working with a Lees carpet. I'm not a fan of some of the newer carpet with the super soft, thin, kinky yarns that want to curl down into the seam as you move the iron forward. With this carpet, I tried something different and it seemed to help a little.
I thermo-sealed the seam as I always do, then centered the tape under the seam and stay tacked the narrow 18 inch wide fill piece. I stay tacked it to avoid making adjustments as I made the seam. This carpet is thick so I need all the tricks in the book to help me.
Lastly, I opened up the seam and slipped a 1/4 inch nylon rope on the seam tape the full length of the seam, then layed the carpet edges back together.
I slowly pulled the rope up and out of the seam in hopes that it would pull those little wimpy curly yarns upward so I wouldn't have to spend so much time digging and straightening them upwards as I made the seam. I think it helped a little bit.
I was thinking later that my shop vac might do this even better. I have a few more important seams to do before this job is complete, so I'll try the suction method next.

Did you try sweeping the yarn away from the seam line and run a row or paiters tape on it to kind of hold the yarn until seam was made? Remove tape after seam was cool..

Daris
I've done that, but pulled the tape off as I went along. Hate to have the heat leave a little hint of the tape residue and make dirt show up months or years down the road.
I've tried different methods, but the one I liked best was when my brother and I worked together, I found it worked best when two people made the seam. One person steadily pulling the iron, and the other could put the seam edges together and play with those rebel yarns, rather than the start/stop fiddle, start/stop fiddle method.

I've done that, but pulled the tape off as I went along. Hate to have the heat leave a little hint of the tape residue and make dirt show up months or years down the road.
I've tried different methods, but the one I liked best was when my brother and I worked together, I found it worked best when two people made the seam. One person steadily pulling the iron, and the other could put the seam edges together and play with those rebel yarns, rather than the start/stop fiddle, start/stop fiddle method.

Didn't know you played the fiddle.:D

One of the stores I managed I hired all the installers. The last one the owner had hired was the guy who had no idea how to make a seam. He put double tack strip reversed where the seam should be and stretched off it. Then didn't understand why the customer complained about stepping on it.:eek::D

One of the stores I managed I hired all the installers. The last one the owner had hired was the guy who had no idea how to make a seam. He put double tack strip reversed where the seam should be and stretched off it. Then didn't understand why the customer complained about stepping on it.:eek::D

I knew a guy years ago who use to elect gun his seems at a apartment complex.
Never got a complaint .

One of the local landlords, rolls carpet out and staples it around the edges. No strip and no pad.
Stop giving me ideas. :badkarma:

Latest posts

Back