Should I or Shouldn't I

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudCline

I have a small bathroom in an old house in progress. The original subfloor is a roly-poly mess but I can deal with that easy enough when it comes to the tile installation.

HOWEVER...
The homeowner has now asked me to give an estimate to install 5/8" prefinished bamboo in a kitchen and hall. (This stuff has been acclimating for about four years.:D)

I quit doing hardwood years ago but things are slow here and I am tempted.

The floor is old (full-dimension) 2X10's on sixteen inch centers with your typical 1X6 diagonal subfloor. The basement has seen some moisture over the years and probably will again - thinking maybe the very next time it rains.

This is one of those houses that has a million projects started and none of them finished. That in and of itself says there is no money but I could be wrong.

So WWYD (What Would You Do)?

I honestly don't know the best way to flatten the subfloor without a helluva lot of work and money he isn't going to spend.

An adjacent dining room he did himself with laminate and his garage is full of woodworking tools. This is a red flag for me.

So whataya guys (and gals) think?

Should I entertain the idea or should I finish the tile in the bathroom and run like hell?

ADVISE ???

I say do it. Grab a belt sander and some roofing tiles and getr done. :D

But first open a few boxes of the bamboo and check them out throughly.

Grab a belt sander and some roofing tiles and getr done.

Well there ya go! Hadn't thought about shimming the crap in that manner but that'll work I suppose. I hate deals like this one and under other circumstances wouldn't even consider it.

Now let's see if anyone agrees with you.:D

Devil hates a coward . :D
I use shingle , 30lb felt , 15lb , then rosin to feather it flat and nail away .

This is exactly why I weened myself away from remodeling and went to strictly new homes several years ago. Thing is......

This is exactly why I weened myself away from remodeling and went to strictly new homes several years ago. Thing is......

Yea, that thing is DOA. But there is hope, seen more track home builder infilling the subdivisions they stopped working in in '08. Plus a couple new customs. But I don't want to become a new construction slave again.

Latest posts

Back