Should I seal plywood subfloor on second floor bathroom prior to installing luxury vinyl plank?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEH

I am doing a lot of repair on my house due to an extended overflow of a bathtub in an upstairs bath. That includes drywall on the ceiling and walls of the room below this bathroom. I'm wondering about putting some sort of sealer on the plywood subfloor in the bathroom prior to installing luxury vinyl plank flooring just in case of any water on the floor (primarily from someone drying off outside the bathtub). Any thoughts or suggestions?

A sealer might be required by the adhesive manufacturer so that the adhesive doesn't soak into the plywood. The sealer wouldn't be done to waterproof the plywood, but to make the adhesive to work correctly. If it soaks into the wood, it might not be sticky enough. You would need to check with the maker of the adhesive.

What about a paint which one would use for concrete garage floors?
To me that would be more water proof than a sealer and also maybe one could take it up the walls a few inches as well to form a "tank"

Hope he isn't making the room into a hot tub. :D
Clear sealer like this might work well enough. I just used it on OSB that was an underlayment for a 'floating type' vinyl plank product.
Needs good ventilation via windows..... the vapors are extremely flamable, so you don't want an electric fan or furnace running as it dries. It will dry in an hour. Gotta keep good airflow or you're going to get a headache.
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Z...cphy=9033043&hvtargid=pla-350455266840&psc=1#

Latest posts

Back