Slip tongue useage

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtoflooring

We have a prefinished Bamboo floor, glued down over concrete, that transitions to the kitchen, entry way, and home office. There are 8 locations where the installer used a rather tall transition. We have lived with it for years but now is #1 on the fix it list, not to mention some friends have commented about how disruptive they are. I have found a reducer to go to the hard surface (tile) floor. Since the transitions occur at the cut end of floors there is no tongue or groove, with exception of 2 locations. I plan on routing groove and using spline to join reducer to wood floor.
My question is, should I glue spline to both sides of flooring or glue spline in reducer then face glue reducer to flooring ends?
I have attached 2 photos for clarification. Any assistance would be greatly aporeciated.

Attachments

• D32844FA-E06A-4BE3-BCB9-246D556C3B8C.jpeg
    D32844FA-E06A-4BE3-BCB9-246D556C3B8C.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 889C3350-47B7-4970-9916-45E8A653B5A3.jpeg
    889C3350-47B7-4970-9916-45E8A653B5A3.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 122
the wood floor or bamboo floor transitions are generally a lot thicker than composites like vinyl flooring planks Pergo and that type of thing. Real thin overlapping wood transitions would break or split over time.
I would probably just glue the spline to the bamboo, then glue down the transition with the correct adhesive. Wood floor adhesive not liquid nails.

You betcha!
If you can find laminate floor transitions that match close enough, that might be an option. They are typically s lot thinner, but the height of your floor and the transition down to the other floor might be difficult to achieve. Worth a look. They of course will still overlap the finished floor.

Latest posts

Back