sofbac

Discussion in 'Carpeting' started by Floorist, Feb 2, 2019.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2019 #1

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Pro

What is your honest opinion of sofbac? On another forum a person is complaining about it. The first time they had it installed, it was kicked in and it wrinkled and he tore it. The second time it was powerstretched and they still say they can see small tears on top of the tack strip. Personally, I think it is an inferior product. It has very little stretch to it. It is difficult to seam. It is hard to trim. Then the fact that it is so heavy. I have not installed any for a few years because I could find no way to handle it by myself.

2. Feb 2, 2019 #2

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

Horrible product in every way. One reason I was done with crapet. Also at the time when it came out I was folding pins back in the tack strip. Couldn't get decent strip to save my life. Had to use triple grip or commercial on the stretch walls. It would pull of the pins on set walls. And yes, too damn heavy.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Floorist likes this.
  3. Feb 2, 2019 #3

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

The last job I did, it took me, my son, the Ho and his son to carry in, 12x20 cuts. Once you laid them out, you could not position them. I would have use my stretcher to position the cuts. Not worth it.

4. Feb 3, 2019 #4

Nick

Nick

Nick

Never had a problem with it ..Didn't like working with it .. It was some heavy junk though ..

5. Feb 3, 2019 #5

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

I haven't seen the heavy softback for a long time. I double strip a lot and doing that makes the stuff behave. It doesn't stretch as much, but it doesn't wrinkle as easy either. I don't know if they recommend a super hot iron like they used to. When it first came out, the rolls came with instructions. It said to set your iron hotter than you are used to. The extra heat was required to melt the fleece, allowing the hot adhesive to hang onto the actionback. Low seamer temperatures would only let the hot melt grab onto the fleece.

6. Feb 3, 2019 #6

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

I'm Mr Fixit these days ......most of the time. I do have one of those Tigress H2O carpets to install pretty soon. That is one wacky backing.