Solid oak stair tread installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
The guy I am working for wants me to remove the temporary 2X6 treads and install the pre made oak treads. He's thinking oak plywood for the risers because I questioned his wanting the risers painted white. I googled white paint on the risers and a lot of people said they are hard to keep looking good because the get scuff marks on them from shoes that are hard to remove. I agree. I have seen the dings and dents and balck marks on painted risers.

Ok, so if the final decision is oak risers, is oak plywood a good way to go?
Or is there something with a tough, easy to clean white surface that would work on the treads other than paint? ...........formica? :eek:

Last edited:
they make lots of levels of paint---the higher the gloss the easier to clean---the paint pros suggest a hard finish enamel for door and window trim---any old wall paint is gonna scuff like crazy

Sherwin Williams Pro Classic White Water Based Enamel-Alkoid Paint. Can't beat it but expensive as hell. It's what I have on my base and doors.

There really are better quality paints------no problem with the RIGHT paint on the right surface

I'm not an expert but I know that much

If you go with an oak tread and you don't want a white painted riser you should just go all solid oak--------easy to say when you're not buying, huh?

it's a lot of LABOR

I can't imagine wanting to do all that work and spend all that money then scab out on the risers and go with something like Formica or laminate.

That's gross to me

I've used plywood and solid wood risers. I now use solid wood almost all the time...plywood (especially from the big stores) is so poorly made you can tell it's plywood. If my customers are wanting wood treads and risers that what they get

Having a scotia moulding under the tread to cover any gap is the standard of the industry. Of course you can complain to the flooring manufacturer about not providing the right trim.
You can make a piece of trim from the pre-finished flooring.
Using a table saw, make two 45 degree cuts on the back of a strip that leaves a bevelled piece with the pre-finished face.
You will need to nail it up, which leaves unsightly nail holes which will need to be puttied with putty colored to match the flooring.
This trim takes about as long as making and staining oak trim, but will match the flooring.
Joseph Rohdes

The job was completed a couple of months ago and it turned out really nice. There was no need for any trim, the pieces fit together like butta. A new blade in the table saw made the cut edges very clean. I scored the cut lines lightly with a utility knife before sawing them, and that made all the difference.

You do cross cuts on a table saw?

I cut the sides of the treads and risers with a zero kerf Lennox blade in a Bosch jigsaw. They are my favorite blade. The skirts weren't straight nor square.
I made the rip cuts with my Makita tablesaw. I always score the cut line in the wood when I want accuracy. Using a new blade in a utility knife, makes a line 100 times thinner than a sharp pencil can, and the score line totally eliminates a chip out on the edge, especially in plywood.

It's a very old topic. This, I think, was my initial mention of these treads. I started a new topic (probably more than one) much later when the job was actually ready to get started.

We see how you are now. Job done a couple months ago and still no pictures.

I haven't even filled the nail holes yet. :D
Had to get the treads installed before customers elderly dad came to visit. They allowed me extra time to get them installed because he was going to stay upstairs. Ran out of time, so I will return again when they ask me too.
Saw the job a week ago fresh, for the first time when I went to retrieve my router. I was impressed with the guy that did the stairs and railing. :D
They still have a bit more other work to be done, but waiting for them to call and give me my marching orders. I'm thinking they are really getting used to a quiet home with no daily "intruders" ;)

I still don't own a digital. One of these days, I'll have him snap me some images for ya.

Last edited:
OK Dan, here it is. Nice nice job on the nail holes hu? Bet ya can't see em at all. ;)
He can't take photos Dan , He can only make plans in Paint . :D

Cool, I'll draw him a picture of the finished project............. and I'll do it with the nail holes filled in. Thanks for the tip, buddy. :D

My stairway job.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back