Sound Deadening

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug

Hi I am new here but not to flooring. I've done a half a dozen or so floors. This time I am installing pre-finished Bamboo, on an old single layer sub-floor. This is on the thrid floor and sound transmitting threw to the second floor is an issue. I am thinking of using cork and was wondering if 1/4" is enough? Or do I need to go to 1/2'. I am also thinking Laying down 1/4" peg board as well. For 3 reasons 1) to level a rather ruff surface 2) I can get it cheap and 3) I thought the peg board might help some with the sound deadening. Oh yes this is just an ordinary apartment living space. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Richard

Hi I am new here but not to flooring. I've done a half a dozen or so floors. This time I am installing pre-finished Bamboo, on an old single layer sub-floor. This is on the thrid floor and sound transmitting threw to the second floor is an issue. I am thinking of using cork and was wondering if 1/4" is enough? Or do I need to go to 1/2'. I am also thinking Laying down 1/4" peg board as well. For 3 reasons 1) to level a rather ruff surface 2) I can get it cheap and 3) I thought the peg board might help some with the sound deadening. Oh yes this is just an ordinary apartment living space. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Richard

There are several foam products as well. They tend to be less expensive and achieve higher sound transmission ratings than cork.

Thanks, Richard

Hi there. I know it is just an ordinary living space but installing a sound deadening floor accessory will make your home comfortable.
I have installed AbsorbaSound underlayment in my kid’s bedroom. AbsorbaSound is made of crosslink polyethylene foam that provides superior cushioning, sound absorption and protection for under your floor. It is also available with special moisture resistant film and self sealing tape for additional moisture protection and ease of installation.

Aound deadening floor underlayments are especially important in condos and apartment buildings where noise control is a must. Proflex and Mapei have sound deadening properties that will exceed common cork underlayment. Thee most common type is acoustical cork.

Last edited:
Great information which is more essential to know about the flooring. Thanks for sharing. By the way I have recently hired a good roofing services from one of the best flooring company which providing such a excellent and satisfied work for a affordable cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back