spare time

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I don't know what the rest of you enjoy doing In your spare time. I write. Mostly for the college English classes I am taking right now. Here is one paper I wrote. I hope someone finds it interesting.

Flying Spaghetti Monster Religion
The “Flying Spaghetti Monster” religion, has it become a real religion? “The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” is a satirical book written by Bobby Henderson that embodies the main beliefs of the religion of the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” or “Pastafarianism. He first wrote about it to the Kansas Board of Education When they were discussing teaching intelligent design or creationism in Kansas schools.(Wikepedia.org)
The religion even has its own prayer.
“Our saucer which art in a colander, draining be thy noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy meatballness be done on Earth, as it is meaty in heaven. Give us this day our daily sauce, and forgive us our lack of piracy, as we pirate and smuggle against those who lack piracy with us. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us from non-red meat sauce. For thine is the colander, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. Ramen”
“Hail meatsauce, full of beef. The Spaghetti Monster is with you. Blessed are you among sauces, and blessed is the spice from your shaker. Heated meatsauce, monster of taste, pray for us all non-pirates now and at the hour of our hunger. Ramen ”(Wikepedia.org)
Although it was written as satire, some people seem to have taken it as a real religion. I suppose it is no different than “Scientology” in some respects. That religion was created by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and claims to have thousands of followers, including many celebrities like Tom Cruise.
In the same vein, “Star Wars” over six movies and counting, has spawned the “Jedi” religion, especially in the United Kingdom. “Jedi religion is the most popular alternative faith”. Today’s census figures show that 176, 632 people in England and Wales identify themselves as Jedi Knights, making it the most popular faith in the “Other Religions” category on the Census and the seventh most popular faith overall. (telegraph.co.uk))
A woman in Oklahoma won the right in court to wear a colander on her head in her driver’s license picture, a sign of the follower of the religion. (kfor.com)
And she is not the only one. It has also been recognized as a right in Massachusetts. (time.com). And in Texas. (huffingtonpost.com)
It has even become a recognized religion in a few countries. “The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Pastafarianism. Pastafarianism (a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian) is a social movement that promotes a light-hearted view of religion and opposes the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in public schools. …..It is legally recognized as a religion in the Netherlands and New Zealand-where Pastafarian representatives have been authorized to celebrate weddings and where the first legally recognized Pastafarian wedding was performed in April 2016. However in the U.S., a federal judge has ruled that it is not a real religion. (Wikepedia.org)
So, has it morphed into a real religion, or does it remain a light-hearted attempt to poke fun at creationism? I guess that only time will tell. “Praise the Holy Noodle”.

I remember hearing of that but never knew that much about it.

Thank you. Most of what I write is too political for this forum.
Writing like you do is a real gift. I have trouble organizing what I want to say in some sort of orderly fashion. I write stuff, then read it, then end up swapping the order of words or sentences so that it makes sense. Takes me more time to edit than write.
Most of what I think is to political for this forum. :D

Latest posts

Back