Squeaky Subfloors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A square headed screw has four corners Mark......
Robertson's come in many shades. 😉
There are a few iterations of a square headed screw, but there is only one Robertson. Screw head design and patenting is much more complex that most people realize, self included. That is until i got in a few too many fights with people about what they are called lol

How about a four cornered screw head, Mark? 😄
I once worked for someone that was a member of the 3M company. She and her husband had divorced and at the ages 15 and 17 she reinherited her children a boy and a girl, both spoiled.
The older one, the boy, was given a Honda 250R three wheeler by his mom. At that time, those were the hot ticket. Those were the good machines that everybody wanted so they can show off.
As I was installing carpet he came in and asked if he could borrow a screwdriver. I asked, what kind?
He replied, the one that looks kind of like an X. I handed him my Philips screwdriver and he was quite content. 😁
Those screw drivers here are referred to as plus and minus, at least by a friend of mine.

Hi guys,

I I bought the Power Pro #8 2" screws that were recommended for the subfloor project. I will start the process of removing squeaks in the days ahead.

Couple more questions:

1) In the bathrooms, I want to seal the subfloor gap (patch panels) with caulk to reduce chances of water working its way through the gaps if an issue was to surface again. Standard silicone caulking acceptable?

2) in and around the patch panels there are low spots, to even the floor out, can I use a pre-mixed off the shelf self leveling compound? Which premixed product would you recommend? I don't need much of it.

3) I also would like to seal the patch panel around the toilet. I bought Zinsser mold prevention primer to roll the subfloor patch. I know that it's not going to completely seal the wood, but anything that could potentially add some protection is money well spent for me. I'm assuming there's no issue with me priming that patch?

Last edited:
I would not be putting anything into sub-floor panels to seal the gaps. There is essentially no need for it and it could impact their natural expansion, but that is just me.

As for patching, you could use a premixed floor fill, if you truly only need a small amount but why not just buy a 10 lb bag of Henry or ardex Feather Finish, then you can make as much as you need and still have some left over.

Dang you are fast! :)

Ok, so I'll forget about filling the subfloor and just focus on leveling the small areas.

As for the 10lb bag: I live in a townhouse with very limited storage space. I typically avoid buying anything that would sit on a shelf for years on end that may never be used again. So I usually overpay for small jobs by buying pre-mixed. ;-)

And when I saw you use the word silicone I'm going to jump in and say NO! before I read Mark's responses. 😁

Don't you just love listening to a hack novice! LOL

And thanks for the screw suggestion. Looks like a good product. Bought 3lbs for starters. May be far more than needed.

A lot of the times the squeek is actually in the wall plate. Sound travels. And when it is all said and done sometime putting talcum powder on the joint and sweeping it in will help but only would be temporary, but may help in finding which boards are moving by looking for the little puff of powder when steping on the board.

A lot of the times the squeek is actually in the wall plate. Sound travels. And when it is all said and done sometime putting talcum powder on the joint and sweeping it in will help but only would be temporary, but may help in finding which boards are moving by looking for the little puff of powder when steping on the board.

I'll keep this in mind after screwing things down. :)

Latest posts

Back