Stain

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zagor

Hi

Would anyone know how to achieve this effect on the floor where the grain is nice light brown and top of wood is dark brown

I gave it few tries but nothing like it

Attachments

• IMG-20200303-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0013.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-20200303-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0014.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20200303-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0011.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-20200303-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0012.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-20200303-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0010.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20200303-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200303-WA0009.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 112
Maybe apply the light stain 'normally' first and let that dry. Next, apply the darker stain onto a hard surface like a sheet of thick leather and sort of burnish on the darker stain.
Paper towels or cloth materials wouldn't allow you contact just the surface.
Beware of spontaneous combustion if using petroleum based stains. Be careful how and where you store stain soaked materials.
One other thought.... And still using a heavy (thick) leather applicator, it using a wipe on or gel type stain for the darker color. I am thinking leather the thickness of a heavy men's belt. The leather is smooth one side and a bit more rough on the back side. I'm talking raw leather, not a belt. Load the leather with stain by forcing it in using a drywall spreader..... Or maybe a lightly loaded paint brush.
Embed the leather with stain, but not so it's real thick or dripping wet. Wipe it on, or should I say rub it on to the wood, then let it set for a few minutes then gently wipe it off gently with a non fuzzy cloth..
Probably not terrycloth? I'm guessing.
If this helps or not, let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
That's neat looking wood. I hope you aren't doing 5000 sq ft. 😁
To get that look, apply the stain more in the center and less on the edges... keep it random plank to plank.
You might apply a sealer coat between the lighter and darker colors.
Ask a good paint store if that idea would work and how it would affect durability and bonding of the top stain.

Last edited:
Will give it a go next week Ive ordered sealer and watched the whole youtube <joking> I will keep you posted boys

Thanks for helping us out. We all strive to learn new stuff. I don't install or finish wood flooring but I like challenges like what you have.
The factory has a process or sequence to make the flooring... So we need to figure it out.
Heck, today I filled a dozen holes in two pieces of wood trim.
The trim color was whitish, silverish, and brownish...... Like brownish gray with a whitewash.
To make a match, I mixed 3 colors of wood filler. Didn't really mix them together.... Just layed small globs of each close to each other on a vinyl scrap, then scooped em up on a plastic spreader and applied them to the small holes. Combining and blending all three colors perfectly together wouldn't have achieved the same result. Wood has variations in color and so did my filler.
Ya gotta think outside the box.
Keep us tuned in with your experimentations.

Last edited:
I'm rethinking my staining technique. Looks like neat old worn flooring. I love that look. .....so just do the light staining then walk on the floor for 60 years untill the look is perfected. 😁

Latest posts

Back