Stair caps

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaucer

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a DIYer to replace carpet on stairs. I've seen products like cap -a- tread that come in laminate or LVP. Or wood stair caps that need to be stained.

Any pitfalls when doing stairs?

For stair caps, it seems like getting and transferring measurements is the key to success. Wood or laminate, each cap is $40-$60, so a bad cut is costly.

I also only have a 10' mitre saw and a small table saw.

Thank you

Here's that unit and how it's used but I use the second method where you glue a board to another board.

The second method would work good with both the side cuts and the cross cut.

We talkin about Cap-a-tread? They come in two flavors, bullnose for 3/4” treads and bullnose for 2x treads. Getting the right one makes a difference. If your stairs don’t have a bullnose then just pick the one you like. They are rated to be strong enough to work on waterfall stairs.

First things first, do your prep work. Remove the carpet and check the treads. Do they squeak? Are they flat? Level? Flat treads make for a clean tread to riser transition. Do you need to replace/ repair any treads? Stair treads are often built out of crap scrap that is left over from framing the house. Do what you gotta do to make sure your new Cap-a-treads have a decent foundation to sit on.

I believe the Cap-a-treads are 12” or 12.5” deep Cutting them on a 10” miter saw will require some ingenuity. Make the cut then rock the tread itself up while the blade is still down to finish the cut. If that doesn’t cut the mustard then make a saw guide like Highup mentioned and use that to make your cuts. Maybe you know somebody with a sliding miter saw you can borrow? I make my side cuts first then rip the tread to final depth.

You need to get a stair jig.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stairtek-5-in-x-12-in-Sturdy-Plastic-Tread-Template-STTRTO/203410479Best $30 investment you can get for doing stairs. The side cuts matter, the back cut not so much cus you have some fluff room to cover up an imperfect cut by covering it up with the riser. Do yourself a favor and don’t cut the treads too tight. I try to shoot for net fit on both sides. A 1/32” gap is better than 1/32” too tight cus if you cut it too tight it can lead to squeaky stairs.

Start at the bottom and work your way up is prolly the easiest but starting at the top and working your way down eliminates you working on treads you just installed. It’s more work and is what I do when I’m not doing Cap-a-treads. Lucky for you you have some fluff room with Cap-a-treads since they are one piece so working on top of them isn’t that big of a deal. Cut each one individually because often times no two treads are the same. Test fit before applying construction adhesive. I usually pop a couple 23 ga pin nails in the treads to hold them in place if I’m working on them until the construction adhesive sets up. Don’t chince out on the construction adhesive. Between treads and risers I’ll usually use two or three 30 oz tubes on an average flight of stairs.

Some other details to consider: What kind of risers are you looking at using? 3/4” thick ones? 1/4” thick ones? You gonna use 1/4 round at the crotch of the stair? Personally I try not to cus I like the clean look of just treads and risers. What’s going on at the top step where you will need a bullnose but not a Cap-a-tread?

What's the stair construction? Plywood, OSB, 2x6 etc.
Hi, Attached is what they look like from below and above.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 86
  • stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 75
We talkin about Cap-a-tread? They come in two flavors, bullnose for 3/4” treads and bullnose for 2x treads. Getting the right one makes a difference. If your stairs don’t have a bullnose then just pick the one you like. They are rated to be strong enough to work on waterfall stairs.

First things first, do your prep work. Remove the carpet and check the treads. Do they squeak? Are they flat? Level? Flat treads make for a clean tread to riser transition. Do you need to replace/ repair any treads? Stair treads are often built out of crap scrap that is left over from framing the house. Do what you gotta do to make sure your new Cap-a-treads have a decent foundation to sit on.

I believe the Cap-a-treads are 12” or 12.5” deep Cutting them on a 10” miter saw will require some ingenuity. Make the cut then rock the tread itself up while the blade is still down to finish the cut. If that doesn’t cut the mustard then make a saw guide like Highup mentioned and use that to make your cuts. Maybe you know somebody with a sliding miter saw you can borrow? I make my side cuts first then rip the tread to final depth.

You need to get a stair jig.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stairtek-5-in-x-12-in-Sturdy-Plastic-Tread-Template-STTRTO/203410479Best $30 investment you can get for doing stairs. The side cuts matter, the back cut not so much cus you have some fluff room to cover up an imperfect cut by covering it up with the riser. Do yourself a favor and don’t cut the treads too tight. I try to shoot for net fit on both sides. A 1/32” gap is better than 1/32” too tight cus if you cut it too tight it can lead to squeaky stairs.

Start at the bottom and work your way up is prolly the easiest but starting at the top and working your way down eliminates you working on treads you just installed. It’s more work and is what I do when I’m not doing Cap-a-treads. Lucky for you you have some fluff room with Cap-a-treads since they are one piece so working on top of them isn’t that big of a deal. Cut each one individually because often times no two treads are the same. Test fit before applying construction adhesive. I usually pop a couple 23 ga pin nails in the treads to hold them in place if I’m working on them until the construction adhesive sets up. Don’t chince out on the construction adhesive. Between treads and risers I’ll usually use two or three 30 oz tubes on an average flight of stairs.

Some other details to consider: What kind of risers are you looking at using? 3/4” thick ones? 1/4” thick ones? You gonna use 1/4 round at the crotch of the stair? Personally I try not to cus I like the clean look of just treads and risers. What’s going on at the top step where you will need a bullnose but not a Cap-a-tread?
Thank you so much for all the good info...I'm leaning toward cap a tread but wanted to hear from someone who has used them.

I've read the thickness of the cap a tread is a bit difference than the matching floor planks. The stair case leads to a small hallway which I plan to place matching planks.

Have you used a threshold type interface piece between the two?

thank you

Usually it’s Cap-a-treads and risers then at the very top a matching stair nose for the flooring is used. Problem is the bullnose profile between the Cap-a-treads and the matching flooring stair nose is vastly different. The flooring stair nose profile is maybe a 3/4” bullnose at most where as the smallest Cap-a-tread bullnose is meant to slip over a 3/4” bullnose tread. So needless to say the combination of the two doesn’t look right but that’s how the jobs are sold at HD so that’s what those customers get. I’ve heard many a WTF from the customers when I’m done. I didn’t sell the job so they have to battle that one out with the store.

Good thing you’re working through this now. It gives you time to work out the details ahead of time.

I had the same problem. Used LL retreads. $50 for tread and riser. They are real red oak. Stained with Zar teak natural and coated with Varathane oil based polyurethane (3 coats). I made a stair jig to get the exact measurements and cut them all to width. I numbered the pieces. Then I stained them and varnished. I did have to cut off the nose of the old steps.

Attachments

• 5E784280-93A9-4706-924A-6426B4ABE43B.jpeg
    5E784280-93A9-4706-924A-6426B4ABE43B.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 76087728-65D5-4850-AE7D-99706375BB40.jpeg
    76087728-65D5-4850-AE7D-99706375BB40.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 75
Do you caulk around the edge to cover the 1/32" gap or just leave as is? Thank you

I’ve finished off many flights of stairs with a bead of silicone. It blends everything together. I believe some of the commercial rubber stair treads these days actually recommend you leave a gap and caulk it. CFR would be the one in the know on that spec. Now if you’re installing up to a beautiful stain grade wood stringer then it’s prolly best to cut it perfect and leave the caulking out of the equation. Sheetrock? Paint grade? A little caulking is just fine. Let’s get you to where it’s a finishing touch and not a band aid.

One thing you can do is measure the width of all your stairs. Some will inevitably be wider than others. I’ve seen walls bow so you could have up to 1/2” or even 3/4” difference from top to bottom, or somewhere in between, a flight of stairs. Start with the widest stair and make that your first one. If you blow it and have too big of a gap for your liking, you can always set that tread aside to be used on a narrower stair. I do this all the time with stair nose when a flush fit against a nice wood stringer is critical cus you only got one shot at it before you gotta order another one at $60.

Let’s get started. Cap-a-treads are 48”? wide. Your stairs are prolly 36”? You got some tread width to spare. Cut a couple test pieces a couple inches wide and take them in and set them on the stair to check your stair with them. How much overhang is there. You got 2 pieces, one for each side. Dummy proof them and mark them R and L. Check them both cus they may not be the same. This lets you know how much you will be ripping off of the back of the tread. Cut the test pieces to size and check em again. You like the fit? If so then take these measurements and transfer them to your tread. While you’re at it you can check the rest of the stairs. You might get lucky and they’re all close enough to just rip a set amount off of each tread. Or maybe only 2 or 3 are different but not all. Write the amount to be ripped off on each stair so when you’re working each stair one by one that measurement is right there for you. I made this the first step in templating stairs because the jig I linked for you bumps the back of the stair. More expensive jigs work from the nose of the stair. No need to dump $250 on a jig if this is a one time deal.

Now you’re getting ready to start templating. You’ve never done this before so we’re gonna take it slow and check and recheck things until you get comfortable. Get your stair jig set up and template your widest tread. Crank the knobs tight. Take the jig and transfer it to the tread. Use a sharp pencil and transfer some clean lines. Just for giggles take the jig and set it back on the stair you just templated. Does it still fit perfectly? Did it move? You haven’t cut your tread yet so if you notice a problem now is the time to figure out what it is and correct it before you start cutting.

Alright, now you’re satisfied that your template lines are accurate. Make your first cut but purposely make it big. How big you make it is up to you. 1/4”? 1/8”? Got balls of steel? How risky are you? Visually compare the cut to the line you’re supposed to cut it at. Does it look right? Do you need to adjust your angle? Is the cut clean? Need a new saw blade cus you smoked the tread? If all is good then you will nibble it down to the line. now you’re ready to cut the other side. Same steps, cut it big and compare the cut to your line. If you like it then cut it down to 1/16” big. 1/8” if you’re unsure. Take the tread in for a test fit. You like the look? Yes it’s big but you can angle it in enough to check each side. Take it out and nibble it down then test fit it again. Seems like a pain but since you’ve never done this before, we’re trying to avoid unsightly gaps or you having to buy a new tread due to cutting one short. Do one or two this way and you’ll get the hang of it enough to eliminate some of the extra testing and checking.

One thing you’ll notice is that since the bullnose on the Cap-a-treads is pretty big, angling them in can be a little tricky. For solid stair treads some guys will put a slight bevel on one side of the tread to ease dropping them in. Be careful if you do this because a degree or two of bevel over a 3/4” thick tread isn’t that bad but that same amount of bevel over 2” is really noticeable. Take your time, maybe even cuss a little. I do. The extra time you take now will be visually appreciated every time you walk up and down your stairs.

By the time you finish this flight you’ll be as good as half the installers HD or Lowes has. I’m joking… or am I?

You got this. Just break it down into individual steps😏.

1BF1BA68-4707-47F8-9B81-22951AEDAD1C.jpeg
D8296D23-1F66-424E-8304-CA2DD75C1F8B.jpeg
9EF19221-78EA-4173-A35C-1F4E9C51B7D3.jpeg

I had the same problem. Used LL retreads. $50 for tread and riser. They are real red oak. Stained with Zar teak natural and coated with Varathane oil based polyurethane (3 coats). I made a stair jig to get the exact measurements and cut them all to width. I numbered the pieces. Then I stained them and varnished. I did have to cut off the nose of the old steps.
@Tom Picciani Hi, They look great...did you cut the risers at the same time or just precut the treads. Now I'm thinking to go that route...

I’ve finished off many flights of stairs with a bead of silicone. It blends everything together. I believe some of the commercial rubber stair treads these days actually recommend you leave a gap and caulk it. CFR would be the one in the know on that spec. Now if you’re installing up to a beautiful stain grade wood stringer then it’s prolly best to cut it perfect and leave the caulking out of the equation. Sheetrock? Paint grade? A little caulking is just fine. Let’s get you to where it’s a finishing touch and not a band aid.

One thing you can do is measure the width of all your stairs. Some will inevitably be wider than others. I’ve seen walls bow so you could have up to 1/2” or even 3/4” difference from top to bottom, or somewhere in between, a flight of stairs. Start with the widest stair and make that your first one. If you blow it and have too big of a gap for your liking, you can always set that tread aside to be used on a narrower stair. I do this all the time with stair nose when a flush fit against a nice wood stringer is critical cus you only got one shot at it before you gotta order another one at $60.

Let’s get started. Cap-a-treads are 48”? wide. Your stairs are prolly 36”? You got some tread width to spare. Cut a couple test pieces a couple inches wide and take them in and set them on the stair to check your stair with them. How much overhang is there. You got 2 pieces, one for each side. Dummy proof them and mark them R and L. Check them both cus they may not be the same. This lets you know how much you will be ripping off of the back of the tread. Cut the test pieces to size and check em again. You like the fit? If so then take these measurements and transfer them to your tread. While you’re at it you can check the rest of the stairs. You might get lucky and they’re all close enough to just rip a set amount off of each tread. Or maybe only 2 or 3 are different but not all. Write the amount to be ripped off on each stair so when you’re working each stair one by one that measurement is right there for you. I made this the first step in templating stairs because the jig I linked for you bumps the back of the stair. More expensive jigs work from the nose of the stair. No need to dump $250 on a jig if this is a one time deal.

Now you’re getting ready to start templating. You’ve never done this before so we’re gonna take it slow and check and recheck things until you get comfortable. Get your stair jig set up and template your widest tread. Crank the knobs tight. Take the jig and transfer it to the tread. Use a sharp pencil and transfer some clean lines. Just for giggles take the jig and set it back on the stair you just templated. Does it still fit perfectly? Did it move? You haven’t cut your tread yet so if you notice a problem now is the time to figure out what it is and correct it before you start cutting.

Alright, now you’re satisfied that your template lines are accurate. Make your first cut but purposely make it big. How big you make it is up to you. 1/4”? 1/8”? Got balls of steel? How risky are you? Visually compare the cut to the line you’re supposed to cut it at. Does it look right? Do you need to adjust your angle? Is the cut clean? Need a new saw blade cus you smoked the tread? If all is good then you will nibble it down to the line. now you’re ready to cut the other side. Same steps, cut it big and compare the cut to your line. If you like it then cut it down to 1/16” big. 1/8” if you’re unsure. Take the tread in for a test fit. You like the look? Yes it’s big but you can angle it in enough to check each side. Take it out and nibble it down then test fit it again. Seems like a pain but since you’ve never done this before, we’re trying to avoid unsightly gaps or you having to buy a new tread due to cutting one short. Do one or two this way and you’ll get the hang of it enough to eliminate some of the extra testing and checking.

One thing you’ll notice is that since the bullnose on the Cap-a-treads is pretty big, angling them in can be a little tricky. For solid stair treads some guys will put a slight bevel on one side of the tread to ease dropping them in. Be careful if you do this because a degree or two of bevel over a 3/4” thick tread isn’t that bad but that same amount of bevel over 2” is really noticeable. Take your time, maybe even cuss a little. I do. The extra time you take now will be visually appreciated every time you walk up and down your stairs.

By the time you finish this flight you’ll be as good as half the installers HD or Lowes has. I’m joking… or am I?

You got this. Just break it down into individual steps😏.

View attachment 13721View attachment 13720View attachment 13719
Great advice...thank you for taking the time to provide. It will probably be a month or so fr me to get to it. I may have a few more questions then.

@Tom Picciani Hi, They look great...did you cut the risers at the same time or just precut the treads. Now I'm thinking to go that route...

I cut stairs and risers first. Numbered everything on back of tread. Also numbered stairs.

I bought a Hercules 12 inch miter saw and stand from Harbor Freight for around $500. It does a 17 inch cut. Look on Amazon for a stair jig tool. After you see the design, build one out of scrap lumber. You can match the one or 2 degree angles on the sides. Leaving 1/16 inch on each side will allow for expansion.

I sold the saw after a few months of use but didn’t lose too much. Got my use out of it though.

Hi, Thank you again for all the input..very helpful. Question on tool to use.

My plan is to use the solid wood caps and stain.

I only have a 10 inch mitre and a table saw.

Will the table saw work for cutting the width of the tread cap or should I rent a 12 inch sliding mitre saw. If I rent ($55/day) , I think I can get all my cuts done in a single day, but I prefer to use my table saw if it will provide good cuts.

Thank you

Hi, Thank you again for all the input..very helpful. Question on tool to use.

My plan is to use the solid wood caps and stain.

I only have a 10 inch mitre and a table saw.

Will the table saw work for cutting the width of the tread cap or should I rent a 12 inch sliding mitre saw. If I rent ($55/day) , I think I can get all my cuts done in a single day, but I prefer to use my table saw if it will provide good cuts.

Thank you
I've used my table saw for treads many times.
Just use a scrap 2x10 or something similar to keep your tread flat & put your blade all the way up. You'll have to take your time to stay on your line. You don't want to be monkeying around making adjustments in the middle of a cut.

I think you will need a 12-14 inch crosscut. This is something you are only going to do once so I think renting the saw is a good idea. Or you can look for a used one on Facebook market. When you’re done, sell it for what you paid for it. That should save you the rental fees.
Lock the detent out so you can set the angle to one or two degrees if needed. Btw, I put the edge of the riser over the stair. But you have to add that to the depth of the stair. Fortunately I didn’t have to rip the stairs to depth. But you do need to measure stair depth with a riser on the stair below.

Latest posts

Back