Stair caps

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put your blade all the way up

Reading that just gave me the willies. Kickback is real, I’ve seen it and I’ve also experienced it. It will happen so fast you won’t even know what hit you until you feel the pain and hopefully haven’t lost any body parts. Crankin the blade up greatly increases your chances of kickback especially with a 12” deep tread where you may be twisting the tread in an attempt to follow a scribe line. I highly recommend renting a miter saw with the capacity you need or even using a skill saw with a home made cutting guide. You can make one in about a half hour for less than $20

D08D4E70-C877-4F9C-A517-5D50879199F0.png

If you do decide to wing it with a table saw, a sharp blade will do wonders and you only need it 1/8” to 1/4” higher than what you’re cutting.

Reading that just gave me the willies. Kickback is real, I’ve seen it and I’ve also experienced it. It will happen so fast you won’t even know what hit you until you feel the pain and hopefully haven’t lost any body parts. Crankin the blade up greatly increases your chances of kickback especially with a 12” deep tread where you may be twisting the tread in an attempt to follow a scribe line. I highly recommend renting a miter saw with the capacity you need or even using a skill saw with a home made cutting guide. You can make one in about a half hour for less than $20

View attachment 13741

If you do decide to wing it with a table saw, a sharp blade will do wonders and you only need it 1/8” to 1/4” higher than what you’re cutting.

This is true....

Using your table saw could absolutely be dangerous for free handing your cuts. A miter saw is definitely the best tool for the job. I also really like the idea of using the Skil saw with the guide. That'll work good in a pinch & you can easily make a guide out of scrap underlayment

Hi, Planning out my project. In the picture, I plan to leave as carpet for now, will put new floor later. I assume the last riser (question #1) should match the others on the stairs. What is done (question #2) to transition from carpet on top floor to first riser?

Thank you

Attachments

• Stairs.jpg
    Stairs.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back