Stair caps

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miter saw or a table saw if you have a sled. The piece will be small so keep an eye on it and where it goes when you’re cutting it.
tks..I'll give it a try. What is a technique to get the correct angle? Measure the width of the widest part and then???

Do you think trying to scribe a new skirt to cover the gap would be a huge challenge? The wedges would be easier? Just trying to close some of the large gaps.

Thank you

Last edited:
I would definitely try the wedges first. If you don’t like the way they look then maybe a new skirt board is the ticket.
tks..I'll give it a try. What is a technique to get the correct angle? Measure the width of the widest part and then???

I'd measure with the by guess and by golly method. Just keep trying till one fits. The first two attempts will start you to zone in on the correct size. Cut slow and use a sharp blade.
It might be best to stain the board and finish the tread before cutting these slivers. If the piece you're cutting wasn't stand and finished, the stains will bleed into the edges of the sliver that you just cut and make it more pronounced.

@highup ,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did stain an extra tread before making the cuts. I've made a couple wedges. I used a dremel to sand them to get them to fit as best as possible. I used a bit of the matching color wood putting to press in between the edges. They don't look bad. I know they are there, but others won't notice. They really helped to fill the gaps to make it much less noticeable. The quality control personnel on site (my wife) is happy ;). Thanks to everyones's suggestions. This is a great forum to get answers without being called a dumbass when something doesn't come out right.....

@havasu Although I've made some wedges and they look ok, that is really what I want to do.

Are you saying make a new skirt board with the 1/4 sheet? Can you provide a bit more detail. It's the rounded nose piece and the deisgn under the tread that's the challenge?

Thank you

Use a paper template, trace on some 1/4" veneer, cut and sand, then tack and glue, sand and paint. Simple!

(I know, it is not simple, but actually nothing is simple if you want it to come out perfect.)

@highup ,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did stain an extra tread before making the cuts. I've made a couple wedges. I used a dremel to sand them to get them to fit as best as possible. I used a bit of the matching color wood putting to press in between the edges. They don't look bad. I know they are there, but others won't notice. They really helped to fill the gaps to make it much less noticeable. The quality control personnel on site (my wife) is happy ;). Thanks to everyones's suggestions. This is a great forum to get answers without being called a dumbass when something doesn't come out right.....
We wouldn't call you a dumbass because you're not one of us.....
...but, you gettin' closer the more you post, so be forewarned 😁
I've been installing flooring prior to 1975 and I ask dumbass questions here. AlI want is answers I don't care what people think. If I have a question, I'm going to ask. 😉

Latest posts

Back