Stair Runner Installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

I have replaced the wall-to-wall carpeting throughout my house with solid hardwood and have also replaced the carpeting on the stairs with hardwood treads. I would like to install a runner on the stairs. The stairs are straight. I have seen several videos on the installation process. They show different techniques, e.g. some start at the top and work toward the bottom whereas some install from bottom to top. Some use a nailing tack strip and some don't. Some use double face tape. Some leave a gap between the back edge of the pad and the riser and some don't. They use different gauge and length staples. Any advice would be appreciated.

How are you doing the edges. turning them or binding/serging? I always preferred to us tackless on both riser and tread, cut tackless 2" short of the width you want. I also start from the bottom and work up but can work from the top down also depending on carpet and if it is a pattern. Oh you don't say if you are using stair rods.

Daris

How are you doing the edges. turning them or binding/serging? I always preferred to us tackless on both riser and tread, cut tackless 2" short of the width you want. I also start from the bottom and work up but can work from the top down also depending on carpet and if it is a pattern. Oh you don't say if you are using stair rods.

Daris
If you are referring to the ends at the top and bottom the carpet store guy said that they don't need to have anything done to them.....the end at the top of the stairs will abut the underside of the top landing nosing and the end at the bottom will abut the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I was not going to use stair rods. Is a 20 gauge staple large enough or do I need an 18 gauge?
Also, what length staple?

If you are referring to the ends at the top and bottom the carpet store guy said that they don't need to have anything done to them.....the end at the top of the stairs will abut the underside of the top landing nosing and the end at the bottom will abut the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I was not going to use stair rods. Is a 20 gauge staple large enough or do I need an 18 gauge?
Also, what length staple?

We usually use an electric tacker (upholstery tacker) that shoots a 9/16 by 1/8 in staple JIMMIEM.

Thank you. If it was me I'd do it in the contour fashion where it is stapled/tacked up under the nose.

Daris
I will do the contour as you suggest. The retailer recommended a carpet pad on each step which I will do. Can I just use staples to install both the pad and carpet? Or staples for the pad, and tackless strips and staples for the carpet? I have a 20 gauge wide crown stapler. I'm assuming that wide crown staples would be okay for the pad? Get a narrow crown stapler for the carpet?

I would use tackstrip on the step portion. staple the riser. Pad I just use a hammer stapler. Don't know the size, everyone hear uses the same so the supply house just slides them across the counter when we order them.
What ernesto said for the carpet.

Daris

I would use tackstrip on the step portion. staple the riser. Pad I just use a hammer stapler. Don't know the size, everyone hear uses the same so the supply house just slides them across the counter when we order them.
What ernesto said for the carpet.

Daris
Thank You!!!

I would use a thin pad under it. No thicker than 3/8" Karastan and others make a pad material that has synthetic felt on one side and rubber on the opposite side. It's thin and dense, which is better for under a runner than 7/16 or 1/2" rebond.

I would also wiggle the nose of the gun between the nap to hide the staple .

You don't say how you plan on getting them tight ?

I would also wiggle the nose of the gun between the nap to hide the staple .

You don't say how you plan on getting them tight ?

Carpet kicker or Bolster. I've seen different instructions that will use one or the other. With a tackless strip I assume the kicker would be better?

Yes , But i wouldn't kick the cpt, You might shred it not being a installer .

Put the pad on your thigh , Put pressure down on the head of the kicker - Push it on the stick.

Yes , But i wouldn't kick the cpt, You might shred it not being a installer .

Put the pad on your thigh , Put pressure down on the head of the kicker - Push it on the stick.
Some of the instructions don't use tack strips and force the carpet into the corner of the tread and riser, using a kicker or bolster, and staple it there and then staple under the tread nosing. For some reason I don't want to use a tack strip.

Yes you do. :D
If you stretch with the kicker and place a half dozen staples, then make the next stretch and it makes a tiny buckle at the area you just stapled................ do you want to try to pull out a few staples? With tackstrip, you can adjust and readjust without an real commitment until you like what you see.

Yes you do. :D
If you stretch with the kicker and place a half dozen staples, then make the next stretch and it makes a tiny buckle at the area you just stapled................ do you want to try to pull out a few staples? With tackstrip, you can adjust and readjust without an real commitment until you like what you see.
OK. You've convinced me. Thank You.

Thas an awful lot of gouging=staples/strip/pad tacker into a full hardwood tread, I was taught to glue & duct tape pad, no tack strip and waterfall if enclosed just for sake of exposed hardwood some day.

Thas an awful lot of gouging=staples/strip/pad tacker into a full hardwood tread, I was taught to glue & duct tape pad, no tack strip and waterfall if enclosed just for sake of exposed hardwood some day.
I didn't want a lot of holes in the treads.....I spent a lot of time making them. Will not do waterfall....I like the other method...forgot what it's called. Decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back