Stair Runner Installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You talk funny. A glob a dollop, a smidgen or a smear? :D He's askin', were helpin'
Cyanoacrylate adhesive can work too........... but ya better be careful with it. ;)
One of the hardest things I learned to do is to make a 90 degree miter on the border of a stair runner without cutting the surging. ;)

The OP doesn't need to seal, shimidyy shabady slatheredid/miteredededly .
Good golly, one of the hardest things I learned was how to crease the runner at the top to make a tight cut without exposing the riser. That's it, that's all that happened.
A simple glob of hot glue on the serged edges is all it'll take after cutting a new riser piece.

Also have to match the repeating Oriental pattern. I've started milling the scotia molding and will see how it looks. If it looks good and my wife approves I'll install it and quit while I'm ahead. If not, please submit your quotes to cut and fit the riser piece. While you're at it submit quotes to reinstall an entire runner. My wife picked the oriental design. She had a stroke this past May and has some spatial, balance and sensory issues from it. One of the issues is that she is bothered by the repeating oriental pattern on the stair runner.....didn't realize it until the runner was installed and she walked down the stairs for the first time.

Sorry about the wife's health problems. Would non-patterned carpet change anything for her would be the question. It may make it look like a ramp and not see that there is a step there.

Daris

Thank You. She said to leave the 'oriental' for now and hopefully she can get used to it....stroke issues can take up to 18 months to resolve, if they ever do resolve. Personally, I liked the bare hardwood treads (I spent a lot of time finishing and installing them) but she gets to play the last card on furnishing and decorating decisions.

but she gets to play the last card on furnishing and decorating decisions.

Better to sleep with both eyes closed Jim.:D

Played it safe and went with the scotia.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Looks good Jim. When i do those type of steps with the floral pattern , I try and talk the customer into adding stair rods .

Looks good Jim. When i do those type of steps with the floral pattern , I try and talk the customer into adding stair rods .
Do the customers have you add the stair rods? I asked my wife if she wanted them but she decided no. I think they look nice and add some pizzazz.

Looks really nice. You made the correct choice. I was thinking from your original inquiry, that the carpet continued from where you "butchered" it. You done good, Jim.

Do the customers have you add the stair rods? I asked my wife if she wanted them but she decided no. I think they look nice and add some pizzazz.

About half of them have me install them, The other half don't get them at all.

I think it gives them a real classy look. Just my opinion.

Problem is , They are not cheap. Enjoy your new steps .

One thing to consider on the rods.
How large are your feet, and how deep are the treads?
I did a steep set of stairs with cheap runner and cheap hollow rods. My heels touched the rods on the way down, and toes on my way up.
Your stairs look OK, but the distance is worth checking into.

One thing to consider on the rods.
How large are your feet, and how deep are the treads?
I did a steep set of stairs with cheap runner and cheap hollow rods. My heels touched the rods on the way down, and toes on my way up.
Your stairs look OK, but the distance is worth checking into.
I live in Massachusetts where the code for tread depth is 9" vs the national minimum of 10". Unless my wife wants stair rods we will go without them. A lot of the older houses in this area have really steep steps that I assume are grandfathered in.

Latest posts

Back