stairs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I basically have a box built out of 2 x 8's. Granted, it's only one step, but it would work for two. Mine is wide enough for a throw rug on it. Makes it nice for keeping outside, outside. It's not attached, so whenever I take a hose to the concrete it's not in the way. Could make for an unsuspected hidey hole also.

If it's only two steps, make the treads a tad deeper than normal, maybe 14 inches? Don't make the risers 8 inches or higher, or you'll regret it. I'd rather navigate 3, 6 inch steps than two 9 inch steps. I'd also make the steps wide for comfort and safety.
How much height difference is there?
What's the surface they will be setting on, gravel, concrete?
Do they need to be movable?

I think when I built the deck up around my (4 foot deep 15'x30" oval) above ground pool I used a 2"x12" for the stringers and a couple of 2"x 6"s for the steps. They set on a slab and were lag bolted into the frame of the deck. The steps should be as close to the standard 7" riser and 12" step as fits your scenario. Whatever you figure of course they're all equal rise/run. I've always used these to cut carpet tile and they're specifically designed to cut stair stringers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002NBKH/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I did something similar for a much larger deck I built for my mother in law in Connecticut. It was 2 or three steps down to the back yard off her deck that was even with her kitchen floor. Again I used 2"x12" lumber for the stringer and 2 2"x 6" boards for the step. There was nothing on the riser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back