Stanton stair runner installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
http://www.stantoncarpet.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=58&SKUID=327
A shop asked me about installing a runner on some stairs. Substrate is bamboo. Under the tread's overhang is a typical cove type molding. I think it would be a much cleaner look if the molding was removed, then later cut to fit (butt to) to the edges of the runner. No rods on this one.
I suggested tackstrip on the tread, then staple the riser. I'm wondering how hard it is to staple into the bamboo.
...some of that stuff can wad up a staple. :rolleyes:
How best to make the runner behave and conform neat and clean to the underside of the nose and to the area on the riser just above the tackstrip?

This Stanton runner material is polypropylene like many of their runners and it's a face to face Wilton from their Luminous Collection. It's Capella #1561 Glaze

As fine and dense as this material is, stapling is hard enough without making divots. The pattern will help hide them.
About the stiffness I mentioned earlier.......... will a light misting with water from a spray bottle, and heat from a hair dryer make the material behave well enough to make a clean/crisp 90 degree bend under the riser and at the riser/tread junction?
The pad chosen is synthetic felt, slightly thicker than the tackstrip.

......and if the staples are hard to drive into the bamboo cleanly............ then what? :eek:

Last edited:
Nope. I was just feeding some info to a shop in town. The bamboo wasn't the stranded type, so I guess stapling shouldn't have been a problem. I've always hated stairs so I pass over em on when I have a chance. Need the work, not the stress.
I like your avatar.

Last edited:
Nope. I was just feeding some info to a shop in town. The bamboo wasn't the stranded type, so I guess stapling shouldn't have been a problem. I've always hated stairs so I pass over em on when I have a chance. Need the work, not the stress.
I like your avatar.

thanks.

and i just did a woven stair runner , did it just as u said, fiber pad, tack on thread, staple on riser , was able to hide the staples, didnt use as many as i normally would though

thanks.

and i just did a woven stair runner , did it just as u said, fiber pad, tack on thread, staple on riser , was able to hide the staples, didnt use as many as i normally would though

I'm not a fan of staples I guess, so like you, less feels better to me too especially if the material is expensive.
I discovered one of the local tool stores sells 3/8" Duofast staples and if 3/8 will hold where it's needed I'll use that. The only thing the flooring shops sell is the 9/16" length which is often overkill, especially into hardwood.

Latest posts

Back