Stinky slab

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
2 layers of VCT got removed and she stinks. Obviously moisture issue. Need ideas to pass on to remedy smell and then advise on prep before new vct

Attachments

• 67050DED-2488-4B29-9AD4-69C0C294CA89.jpeg
    67050DED-2488-4B29-9AD4-69C0C294CA89.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Have you hit the floor with a scrape away to get up all the adhesive and smeg that was under the tile. Dust the floor as necessary and follow ip the scrape away with a 12 or 16 grit disc. I would think that and introducing extra ventilation to the area would help a lot with the odor.

Have you hit the floor with a moisture meter yet. Calcium chloride test or some Wagner probes would be better.

Thx C.J.
I’ll pass on any and all advise, I’m not doing the work.

They have a huge air scrubber, but I don’t think they used it ☹️ ( I’ll scold them about that, and encourage it’s use tomorrow. I believe they scarified some of the smeg, but more is needed. They will probably / hopefully test with the Wagner and then decide. Personally I’d like them to do an epoxy or sealed concrete finish, rather than VCT Again.

What did you mean about ‘ dusting ‘ ?

If the substrate is still sticky you just sprinkle some patch on it and broom it around so it’s not sticky anymore. When you’re running the scrape away it can help the adhesive to ball up instead of just gumming up on the scraper head.

Old dead patch works great. I’ve heard of people using flour or baby powder. I suppose it doesn’t matter as long as it works.

I like the idea of cleaning up the slab and using that as your new floor. Seal it or wax it and that’s it until next year’s maintenance schedule comes around.

Thx C.J.
I’ll pass on any and all advise, I’m not doing the work.

They have a huge air scrubber, but I don’t think they used it ☹️ ( I’ll scold them about that, and encourage it’s use tomorrow. I believe they scarified some of the smeg, but more is needed. They will probably / hopefully test with the Wagner and then decide. Personally I’d like them to do an epoxy or sealed concrete finish, rather than VCT Again.

From the photo it looks more like white patch over those cracks than alkaline salts. Hard to tell by looking, but I can usually SMELL or feel the difference.

Demo VCT and replace with VCT is nearly 100% budget constrained customer. So while it's proper to inform them of moisture concerns, even better to MEASURE AND DOCUMENT the concerns, advice and options in the end they just want something FAST AND CHEAP that will last a few years.

We on occasion will neutralize that high pH on the surface with a 2% vinegar and water rinse. Don't forget that RINSING is the key so you mop on the vinegar (hot water) solution, let it set 10-20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. As vinegar is an acid and it's kind of smelly you're going to wash away that harsh chemical odor of caustic salts that have been brought to the surface by the leeching water vapor.

When you can see the salts (efflorescence) mechanically remove all that prior to your rinse. That's a matter of scraping, wire brush, sanding and whatnot. All this we do very fast as our VCT customers are not willing to shell out for anything over-the-top as far as labor or materials.

To get an attractive sealed/stained concrete finish isn't cheaper than re-installing VCT by the time to walk through all those steps if you're considering doing that correctly.

Thx ! Incognito, and C.J. mucho appreciate

Yes, gypsum patch, not salts 🤞 it was used back in 1994 ish ( all / mostly cementitious now )

The stink is probably trapped and released mildew, ‘ Smegma ‘ 😷

Thanks guys, Your wealth of knowledge is fantastic

Latest posts

Back