Storage creases. Can this be used?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folamim

This carpet has been in storage, folded, for 10 years. Are the storage creases going to prevent this carpet from being installed properly?

IMG_7224.JPG

Today I learned that carpet has two backings, the primary backing that the carpet fibers attach to, and then a secondary backing that faces the floor.

Definitely stiff. It seems like there is a little bit of separation along the tighter creases.

Today I learned that carpet has two backings, the primary backing that the carpet fibers attach to, and then a secondary backing that faces the floor.

Definitely stiff. It seems like there is a little bit of separation along the tighter creases.
Then it is not good for anything if it is stiff.

Half the house has this kind of carpet already laid. Assuming we decide to trash it, would it make sense to cut off and save a small section for patching in the future, from the least creased part?
Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I see you are in Texas as is my son. You might try to get a cardboard tube from a carpet store and roll it on there until a nice hot day and roll it out on the driveway and maybe the heat will let the creases relax out. Even maybe put a little tension on it.. Then reroll it on the tube nice and tight. Yes you could cut some areas out, its always nice to have attic stock.

I agree with the desperate Sun bake efforts you might even try spraying the back with warm water as it lays in the sun and he’ll flip it over and put two stretcher heads on it in opposite directions but if I was asked to instsll it , it would be with no guarantee and double money but in the end it’s old delaminating permawrinkled rug - trash it now

Latest posts

Back