Stuck in middle of job, need help with a path forward.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigz77

Hi everyone,

I have a converted attic with old wood floors that were painted. After sanding there is still paint inbetween the panels. The floor is level and free of squeaks.

I have a couple options in mind and wanted to see what you all think is the best path forward. I'm pretty handy, but by no means a professional. I have put down hardwood in the past under supervision though.

Option 1: scrape out the cracks myself and then fill, sand and finish. any hints on getting the paint out are greatly appreciated.

Option 2: lay down new 3/4" solid oak. I have read I need to lay the new floor perpendicular to the existing floor? If so, can i lay down 1/4" plywood in between so I can keep the boards running the length of the room (ex. original floor, 1/4" plywood, vapor barrier, new 3/4" hardwood)?

Any other thoughts are welcome and appreciated as well. Thanks

upstrairs floor.jpg

What kind of sander did you use?
The upper and lower floors look different............ have you not finished sanding the upper part?
What kind of wood it it?
Are you going to have any rugs up there when it's all completed? I'm hinting the 'distressed' look.

What kind of sander did you use?
The upper and lower floors look different............ have you not finished sanding the upper part?
What kind of wood it it?
Are you going to have any rugs up there when it's all completed? I'm hinting the 'distressed' look.

I hired professionals who used a drum sander. The lower level got 2 passes and the upper got 1 pass. They walked off the job when they saw the paint between boards (even though I was charged extra for paint removal). I can clean up the upper level, but the paint in the cracks is the real issue (zoomed pic below). I'm going to try an oscillating tool with a scrapper attachment tonight.

I have no idea what kind of wood it is. I personally like the distressed look, but the lady friend wont have it. Yes there will be rugs at the end of the day. Her preference is to lay down a new floor, but I dont want the boards to run the width of the room if they must be laid perpendicular to the existing floor.

upstrairs floor_zoom.jpg

Make them come back and do another pass or two, one at a 45 and then one straight..

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jon - I do have some paint stripper in the garage I can try. Maybe a combo of that and a tool might make faster work.
Havasu - I'll try a test patch and see.
Ernesto - The guy who came out and quoted us was clearly done with us. He was very annoyed when I pointed out that he had visited the house and charged us a good deal extra b/c of the paint.

Any thoughts on laying down a new 3/4" floor?

You have two choices , 1} The one E suggested . But if you are going to try and drum sand it yourself , there is a very good chance you are going to destroy the floor . Takes a few years to get good with one of them, and you are only going to be able to rent a 12" around here . Post back for proper instructions if you decide to go either way .

2] Put the plywood down , and you can run the new wood anyway you want .

Thank you all for the advice. I'm not nearly brave enough to try the drum sander. Based on all the input I will take a stab at the paint in the cracks this week. If that goes well, I will hire professionals to finish the rest of the sanding, filing etc.. If the cracks go horribly I can go to plan B of laying down a new floor which I feel much more confident doing. Plus I have all the tools

Speaking of which, For the new floor option I am looking at the product pictured below from a company called Ecofusion. Any recommendations for any other American companies that supply sustainable materials?

Thanks again. I will post back when I figure out which road I'm going down, and of course with pics of whatever the finished product turns out to be

IMG_7253.JPG

Ok exotics are out the window and thank you for that link Ernesto. I found a "Hickory Saddle" from Somerset that I like. I checked out their website and everything looked manufactured in the USA.

I see they make it in both 3/4 and 1/2 width. Any reason to go with the 3/4 over the 1/2? Any other thoughts on the this brand or type of wood is appreciated.

Last edited:
I finally finished the floors. Long story story short. It was some sort of hard compound in between the planks. I used and oscillating tool with a scrapper attachment and angled it to clear the joists as I ran down the line. Worked like a charm. The tool did all the work at a 4ish setting and turned up to a 5 in the stubborn spots. After that it was a short slide to home. I love my refinished 100+ yr old Douglas Fir floors. Very happy I went this route. Thanks for all the input and advice.

IMG_3676.JPG

Latest posts

Back