Stumped over door threshold

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate everyone’s input. I know next to nothing about transition pieces and custom making anything. Ideally the side piece of trim of the threshold that I pictured up top would look more like a reducer, angle down toward the floor I'm installing, as opposed to just standing up totally flat. Even if I do the screen mold as suggested, there would be about a 1/4" difference in the transition to the new floor. I attached a photo of what I had in mind, just by taking that piece off and angling it down. This may be out of my level of ability to have it like I have in mind. I may just go with whatever is most simple for me. I just didn’t know if I could buy a piece with this sort of profile already, to make it look like this.
Take into consideration I use a motorized jamb saw first so we address thresholds first thing right off the bat. I usually have to cut the casing on each side of the door so I try to lift or even remove a threshold first so I can cut and make a horizontal slot for my floor. Use a pry bar and see if you can lift that threshold if you can lift it a little all the way across then slip the floor under and be done

I used to slip flooring underneath thresholds years ago until that ONE TIME when it threw the seal of the door off. I went back to that house two times to fiddle with the door then I bit the bullet and paid a door company to fix it. Then there was the time I burned up my undercut saw undercutting a wood threshold. Yeah I had a dull blade but that still cost me time and money to get my saw fixed. Now I just don’t touch exterior thresholds period. Not worth the liability to me if something goes wrong. Then I also think what happens to that threshold in 5 years when you switch out your floor for something different. You may have different results but my advice is to just butt up to it and find some sort of trim piece to cover the expansion space.

Not sure why a reducer threshold designed to coordinate wouldn’t be used. Same as for carpet against laminate.

Makes total sense. Depends on who figures the job out. Many places just assume you will use 1/4 round. Hardly anybody thinks about tubs and front doors like they do transitioning to different rooms or flooring types. That’s when I gotta pull something out of my ass or else I’m listening to the sales person bitch about having to order something and then they think I’ll do them a favor and go back for free (or cheap). Nope! I want my $150 to go back and put down one piece of 1/4 round or whatever. It’s not my fault so why should I eat it. Remember, we ain’t friends, this is business.

Just don't nail thru the floating floor to secure whatever trim you chose. I like and also rip T molding for exterior doors, or other vertical obstructions. I use silicone to secure them and avoid nails all together, but thats just me.

Latest posts

Back