sub-floor prep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harum

Hello, I have a question about floor prep for regular travertine tiles. I had a linoleum covered kitchen floor flush with the adjacent hardwood floors in a 60 year old house. I removed the linoleum and most but not all linoleum glue with felt. Underneath the linoleum is what looks like 3/8 in. plywood board sitting on diagonal planking. It turned out that the hardwood floors are also only 3/8 in. thick sitting on the diagonal planks (this was why they are the same height as the kitchen floor) -- see the photo:

I am not clear on the following:

Is there a sub-floor prep option that would somehow keep the new tiles at about the same height as the hardwood floors?

Can I count the 1'' x 6 '' planking layer over the joists towards the minimum thickness for a sub-floor to be safe for tiling, which is suggested to be at least 1 and 1/2 in.? (Here is the math: 1 in. planking + 3/8 in. plywood + 1/8 in. thinset + 1/4 in. backer board = 1 and 3/4 in. -- enough thickness).

If nothing else works, Would (1/8 in. thinset + 1/4 in. backer board + 1/8 in. thinset + 3/8 in. tile = 7/8 in.) a kitchen tile floor that is 7/8 in. higher than the floors in the areas around be safe, practical and not ridiculous?

I have no experience in floor prep and would greatly appreciate any suggestion or a reference to a website, a book chapter, or other people's experience that could help answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for your time, h.

harum said:
Yes, thanks, I know that much. The question is if the joists and the rest of the floor underneath the kitchen is strong enough for an extra layer of tile...

That's why I posted the deflecto link. Insert your data and you'll have your answer.

Thanks. I also had a specific question about floor prep... Can I add the thickness of the diagonal planking to the 3/8" plywood and 1/4" backer board to get the desired 1-1/2" support for the tiles?

harum said:
Thanks. I also had a specific question about floor prep... Can I add the thickness of the diagonal planking to the 3/8" plywood and 1/4" backer board to get the desired 1-1/2" support for the tiles?

Can you post a link to the thickness spec you are referring?

harum said:
I don't have links for that. My question is Would 1"x6" planking, 3/8" plywood and 1/4" backer board over joists be acceptable subfloor for tiling?

Short answer- probably not, stone requires a subfloor system twice the stiffness of ceramic tile.

Short answer- probably not, stone requires a subfloor system twice the stiffness of ceramic tile.

If the joists are strong enough according to deflection calculation, what is missing then? Something that gives strength in between joists?

Yes...backerboard adds no strength to the structure...3/8" ply is worthless. Pull that out, add 3/4" CDX and ditra.

I read the same thing about backer board and 3/8" plywood... But what about the diagonal planking over joists (as in photo)? It is 1 in. thick and got to be good for something, because it is solid wood and in a good shape. It got be stronger than CDX etc.

Latest posts

Back