Subfloor for laminate vinyl tiles

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar87

Hi,

We are replacing the floor covering in our conservatory and have chosen some LVT from a local store. We currently have amtico down from the previous owners but it is horribly scratched and has lifted in multiple places. I took up what I could before the flooring store sent someone round to check the floor, but it was very difficult to get much up as it is well glued down. From what I did lift, it seems we have a plyboard floor underneath but patches of glue are proving difficult to scrape off, and in a few places some of the wood has come up with the amtico too, so there are splintery lower patches.

The guy that came round suggested re-plying the floor (which they can do at a cost) but we would need to take up what is there now and see what's underneath (he thinks chipboard). As you can probably tell from my description above I am not a professional! Firstly I wouldn't know where to start with taking up what's there now and I am reluctant to tamper too much. My colleague said when he had one done, he levelled the floor with a compound rather than ripping it up and re-boarding. From the images I have attached, what would you recommend we should do?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 216
What I use to get it up is a hot air gun, like your blow dryer but on steroids. Easy smeasy. Then I would scrape old glue off and skimcoat with ARDEX SF

From what I'm seeing is there is luan under the Amtico. Easy enough to take up with a roofing shovel. But at the moment I would be more concerned with mold in the corner. That needs to be addressed before you do anything. You got a leak somewhere. And the black could be black mold without testing I don't know but the criteria is there.

Latest posts

Back