Subflooring under carpet on concrete pad

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyltpdm

Hi everyone,

We bought a house with a ~20 year addition built on a concrete pad, in Ontario. The previous owners installed terrible laminate in the addition that eventually broke apart, so we've removed it. Underneath the laminate was a carpet underpad which we're told is antimicrobial directly on concrete, and there are old carpet tacking strips nailed into the concrete.

This room is our main living space, and as we have toddlers we want to install a berber carpet. Where we get hung up is we're getting different advice is what subflooring is required.

Our hardware store is saying that we should use drycore. Carpet stores in the area have told us that we shouldn't use anything, just an underpad, or that we should use a dimpled product like superseal.ca. I don't mind spending the money but only if it's necessary. We've had just the underpad down for the last couple of weeks and there's no issues with temperature.

Do we need to install a subfloor product under the underpad? Superseal will add approx 25% to our cost, while drycore would add about 60%.

Thanks everyone!

The hardware store?

What do the local plumbers or glazing contractor say about proper carpet installation?

Have you consulted your accountant or maybe the local librarian?

yeah, I'm a sarcastic SOB......sorry

Let the carpet store you TRUST handle the pad. GENERAL RULE is don't cheap out on the padding. It's critical to the overall, long term value of your investment.

Don't do the Drycore unless there is a moisture issue. Actually the moisture issue would be a slight amount of water. I've installed for 48 years and have had no problems with the pad directly to the concrete other than floods. I agree with incognito on the pad. But don't put the best pad down under a cheap carpet. You would be just wasting your money. As far as the super seal goes I'm not familiar with the product but again I've never put anything down under the padding.

Daris

I have installed some Kraus patterned carpet in commercial jobs. Found it to be high quality and patterns were dead on.
I just read the link you provided. Question to me would be is How long do you want it to last before replacing? Today most mills figure you will get tired of it in about 5 years. I know they say 10 years on most everything in their specs but that would be like a tire warranty, its pro-rated. Again warranties are written for the manufacturer.

Daris

A ten year wear warranty:rolleyes:. Carpet yarn doesn't really wear. It just loses it's twist and lays down and gets ugly. But no matter how ugly it gets, if the yarn isn't shorter, it doesn't qualify for the warranty. :(

Latest posts

Back